This Lemon Basil Three Bean Salad is refreshing and easy to put together. Perfect to enjoy as is, serve at summer parties or enjoy as a side. And it just gets all the better the longer it marinates.
Why You Need to Make this Three Bean Salad
Bean salads, when done right, can be a gateway to fun flavor and really good nutrition. My first true love at first bite experience with one was about two summers ago when I went to visit my mother in law. She made a simple chickpea bean salad that was loaded with fresh garlic and lemon and as simple as it was, it had the most incredible flavor.
If you’re a fan of beans or have a hard time getting them in, I can’t recommend them enough. It’s honestly one of the reasons I’ve started making different variations of them this summer. So here’s another variation using lemon and basil combined with three different beans. Here’s why you’ll love it:
- Simple to put together. Literally just dump all the ingredients in a bowl, give it a stir and let it marinate for the flavors to mingle.
- Basic ingredients. No weird ingredients, all basic things you should be able to find easily.
- No cooking involved. Especially good for those evenings when you don’t want to fuss and perfect for the warmer weather when you don’t want to heat up your kitchen.
- Full flavor. Between the lemon, basil, and garlic, each bite will be just as impressive as the last.
- Perfect for snacking or great for summer entertaining. Bring this as a side to your next summer get together or prep it for the week to enjoy as a simple snack paired with crackers.
- Filling and nutritious. Since the base of this salad is made with beans, you are getting a good source of plant protein, fiber, iron and folate.
- Basil: We are using fresh basil to help amplify the flavors in the salad.
- Lemon: Fresh squeezed lemon juice for a little tang.
- Beans: We used a combination of chickpeas, black beans and white beans for this mix, and they compliment the addition of the lemon flavors so well!
- Garlic: Make sure it is crushed or finely minced before using.
- Cherry Tomatoes: Perfect to compliment the fresh basil.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Opting for a good quality olive oil makes a big difference in the flavor and mouthfeel of this bean salad.
How to Make This Bean Salad
Rinse and drain all of your beans. Place your beans in a large mixing bowl along with all of the other ingredients and give it a good mix to coat your beans with the lemon juice and seasonings.
Once fully mixed, cover your beans and allow for your beans to marinate for at least an hour in the fridge before serving them up.
Tips for the Perfect Three Bean Salad
- Allow your beans to fully marinate! Give this salad at least 1 hour in the fridge to chill and marinate. For best results, consider marinating over night before enjoying for maximum flavor.
- Rinse your beans and drain them really well. You want to make sure that you remove the water the beans are stored in with the cans to help prevent your salad from getting soggy and weird.
- To help keep your salad fresh longer, add your veggies the day it is being served. Mix everything except the tomatoes and refrigerate. When ready to serve, add your tomatoes. This will prevent your veggies from getting soggy.
Frequently Asked Question
One of the main concerns with canned beans is sodium. However, rinsing your beans really well can help reduce the amount of sodium in your beans by about 40%! Open your can of beans and place them in a colander or strainer and rinse them for about 2 minutes and then allow to drain to remove the remaining water. You can also opt now for cans of beans that have no added salt. Just know that if your beans are not salted you should adjust the salt in this recipe as desired for optimal taste.
This three bean salad is perfect for meal prep. Just store the beans fully dressed in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3-5 days. If you want to avoid your veggies getting mushy, try adding them in on the same day you plan to enjoy them.
What to Serve Your Bean Salad With
This bean salad is perfect to enjoy as a side, main protein source or a fun scoopable snack. Try it with any of the following combinations:
- BBQ additions
- Scooped into a lettuce wrap
- Filling for a burrito
- With salad greens
More Bean Salad Recipes
Lemon Basil Three Bean Salad
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Refrigeration Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Sides
- Method: One Bowl
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
This Lemon Basil Three Bean Salad is refreshing and easy to put together. Perfect to enjoy as is, serve at summer parties or enjoy as a side.
- 1, 15oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1, 15oz can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1, 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 medium red onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered or halved
- Zest of one lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, minced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- Juice of two lemons
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt or more to taste
- Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- In a bowl, combine beans, onion, garlic, cherry tomatoes, lemon zest and basil.
- Top with lemon juice, olive oil, basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss everything together until fully combined, then cover and allow to sit and marinate for at least an hour in the fridge before serving.
Allow your beans to fully marinate! Give this salad at least 1 hour in the fridge to chill and marinate. For best results, consider marinating over night before enjoying for maximum flavor.
Rinse your beans and drain them really well. You want to make sure that you remove the water the beans are stored in with the cans to help prevent your salad from getting soggy and weird.
To help keep your salad fresh longer, add your veggies the day it is being served. Mix everything except the tomatoes and refrigerate. When ready to serve, add your tomatoes and mix well.
Keywords: three bean salad, vegan bean salad, bean salad, vegan summer recipes
Did You Try This Recipe?
Then let me know what you thought in the comments below! Share your creations by tagging me on Instagram with the hashtag #plantbasedrdeats
Leave a Reply