This chickpea noodle soup is all things cozy, hearty and high protein. This vegan soup has a delicious broth seasoned with thyme, garlic and ginger. Perfect for anytime of the year when you need something nutritious and warming for the soul.
Why you need a bowl of this chickpea noodle soup
As we sit in a bit of cooler weather, my body starts to crave this vegan chickpea noodle soup. Between the aromatics, the seasonings and herbs, it’s everything I could ask for in one bowl. Here are some more reasons you’ll love this soup:
- Thanks to the inclusion of both chickpeas and chickpea based pasta, this soup is vegan, gluten free and high protein!
- Includes lots of garlic, thyme, ginger and turmeric for flavor and extra nutrition boost.
- Super easy to make, and takes less than 20 minutes to cook.
- Garlic: honestly, use the whole bulb, but I had 7 large cloves for this, so it was close enough
- Ginger: such a nourishing spice that adds a little kick
- Thyme: dry thyme to make it easy, but feel free to use a few sprigs fresh in this
- Turmeric: to add a little golden color to the broth, but also to add some extra nutrients and antioxidants
- Chickpeas: one of our protein sources
- Chickpea Pasta: I used Barilla’s chickpea casarecce shapes for extra protein, but as our noodles for this soup as well
How to make chickpea noodle soup
- Start by sweating your vegetables with a pinch of salt and cook them until softened.
- Develop your aromatics (ginger and garlic) and sauté until fragrant.
- Add in seasonings, chickpeas and vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Once simmering, add in pasta and cook according to package.
- Serve soup topped with a squeeze of lemon for extra fresh brightness to the soup.
Tips for making this recipe
- If you are not a fan of bean based pasta, feel free to swap out with regular pasta.
- For even more protein, consider adding a few chunks of baked tofu.
- To ensure a really great flavored soup make sure you are using a really good quality vegetable broth. I used better than bouillon vegetable base for this recipe and it always yields really good flavor without me having to make my own broth from scratch. We are also really loading up on a lot of garlic and ginger to also help impact the flavor too.
- This soup is great for batch cooking. Feel free to double the recipe and freeze some up in individual containers to reheat later on to enjoy. It will also keep well in an airtight container for up to 3 to 4 days in the fridge.
More soup recipes you’ll love
This chickpea noodle soup is all things cozy, hearty and high protein. A delicious broth seasoned with thyme, garlic and ginger.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 ribs celery (sliced)
- 1/2 large white onion (diced)
- 3 small carrots (sliced into thick coins)
- 7 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 inch fresh ginger (minced)
- 1 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning or mushroom seasoning
- 1 tsp dry thyme
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup chickpea pasta
- 6 cups good quality vegetable broth
- Lemon wedges for serving
- In a large pot, heat up oil and then add in celery, carrots, and onion with a pinch of salt and sauté until softened.
- Add in garlic and ginger and sauté until fragrant then add in thyme, mushroom seasoning, and turmeric and sauté for a minute.
- To the pot, add in chickpeas, bay leaves and vegetable broth and stir well to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in pasta and allow to cook in the soup according to package. Check to make sure pasta is cooked and adjust salt and pepper to your taste. Serve as is or enjoy with a squeeze of lemon juice to brighten the soup up.
For vegetable broth, I used the equivalent listed using better than bouillon vegetable base.
If using mushroom seasoning, I really enjoy using the Trader Joe’s Mushroom & Company Multipurpose Umami Seasoning Blend.
Keywords: chickpea noodle soup, chickpeas, soup
Did You Try This Recipe?
Then let me know what you thought! Share your creations by tagging me on Instagram with the hashtag #plantbasedrdeats