This bowl of lentil tahini pasta is one of my favorite vegan pantry meals to make! Packed with protein and quick to put together! Did I mention it is super flavorful? This is a big deal because…just a little secret here…I’m not really a pasta fan.
Now don’t get me wrong here! It’s not that I hate pasta. It’s more that I am pretty neutral to it. Not typically my go to choice for dinner, but recently I’ve been dreaming of this creamy bowl. The rich creamy tomato sauce really makes this dish and it coats the pasta so perfectly.
How to make Lentil Tahini Pasta
As the recipe title indicates, this pasta uses tahini as a main ingredient. The tahini is what makes this tomato sauce so rich and creamy, but also provides a nice balance against the acidity of the tomato paste. Outside of these base ingredients you will also need lots of spices and the helpful addition of pasta water to get the perfect creamy consistency. Add the pasta into this mix, and it becomes perfectly coated.
If you don’t have or enjoy lentils, this recipe works really well with other plant proteins like chickpeas, white beans or tofu. Lentils in particular are my go to for the fact they are quick to cook from scratch, but also pack a big nutrition punch.
- Excellent source of folate
- Very good source of fiber
- Good source of iron, protein (especially the amino acid lysine), zinc and other B Vitamins
Why You Will Love this Recipe
- You will love this recipe for it’s simplicity, but be blown away by the flavor.
- All the spices and herbs that help make this sauce more than a tomato sauce.
- Easy to customize the ingredients to fit whats inside your pantry.
Need some more lentil inspiration?Print
This bowl of lentil tahini pasta is one of my favorite vegan pantry meals to make! Packed with protein and quick to put together! Did I mention it is super flavorful? Because it's delicious.
- 4 oz dry pasta of choice (I used rigatoni)
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dry basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta water
- 2 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp tahini**
- 2 cups loosely packed cooking greens (spinach, kale, or collards, etc.)
- In a sauce pan add lentils and veggie broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer and cook for 10 minutes on low heat, covering with a lid.
- As lentils get to the 10 minute mark of cooking, bring a separate pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package.
- Going back to the lentils, remove the lid and add tomato paste and all seasonings listed in the ingredients.
- Stir to combine and add tahini (or substitution of choice) and greens.
- Stir once more and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Once pasta is cooked, reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water and drain the pasta.
- Add pasta and pasta water to the pan with the lentils.
- Stir to evenly coat pasta with the sauce and serve!
- If you do not have tahini at home, feel free to use 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk Or 1/4 cup hummus to replace it.
- Make it even higher in protein and gluten free by opting for bean based pasta.
Did You Try This Recipe?
Then let me know what you thought! Share your creations by tagging me on Instagram with the hashtag #plantbasedrdeats