The more I stay inside, the more I want treats. Can anyone else relate? And when I’m thinking of comfort plus easy, the idea of this warm and melty chocolate chip walnut banana bread comes to mind. All mixed together in one bowl with super simple pantry ingredients you likely already have access to.
The main non-negotiable ingredient for this recipe are lovely spotty and super ripe bananas. They add a lovely level of sweetness without making the recipe sickeningly sweet. Also, since we are relying on the ripe bananas for sweetness, we won’t have to add much sugar to this to make the flavor pop.
Chocolate Chip Walnut Banana Bread Ingredient Superstars
- Spelt Flour: good source of dietary fiber, vitamins and minerals and often for some individuals can be easier to digest
- Ground Flax Seeds: acts as a perfect egg substitute and helps to bind the ingredients together, also provides omega 3s
- Peanut Butter: great source of healthy whole fats
- Walnuts: adds lovely texture to the bread while providing some additional omega 3s
You will notice as you mix this that you will get a much thicker batter than other banana bread recipes. This is totally fine as I find this thickness helps create a better shape to the bread and it has an easier time rising. Combine all these stellar ingredients in one bowl, pour into your baking pan and pop it in the oven. It will take about 50-55 minutes to fully bake, but the wait is so worth it. I did a bit of cleaning and reorganizing in that time frame, but do what feels right to you when waiting patiently. Maybe that time includes sneaking a few extra chocolate chips in. I’m not here to judge.
You can serve this bread as is or spread with your favorite toppings. I’ve been in love with an extra smear of peanut butter and jam on my slices. Be as creative as you choose to be with this chocolate chip walnut banana bread. There’s technically, no bad way of doing this.
Needing some more sweet treat inspiration with pantry basics?
- Brownie Batter
- Blueberry Baked Oatmeal
- Roasted Corn and Jalapeno Sweet Corn Bread
- Blueberry Pecan Muffins
The ultimate vegan, oil free whole grain banana bread. Perfect balance of sweetness and whole good ingredients.
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 4 tbsp water
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom or cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine ground flaxseed and water, stir and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Once flax seeds gel up, add ripe bananas and with a fork or whisk, mash bananas really well until mostly smooth.
- Add in peanut butter, apple cider vinegar, cardamom/cinnamon, vanilla and brown sugar and mix well into the banana and flax egg mixture.
- Add in baking soda and baking powder and whisk together to evenly combine.
- Add in flour 1/2 cup at a time and mix into batter. Repeat until all of the flour is incorporated.
- Add walnuts and chocolate chips then fold them into the batter.
- Batter will be thick, spoon batter into a lightly greased loaf pan and place in the oven.
- Bake in the over for 50-55 minutes, making sure a toothpick comes out clean.
- Feel free to use nut butter of preference. I used peanut butter because it is cheap and typically in my pantry.
- You can also sub out spelt flour for regular flour or whole wheat pastry flour for similar end result.
- Enjoy banana bread as desired! As a treat on it’s own, topped with extra nut butter or even used to make a fancier vegan French toast.
Keywords: banana bread, bananas, brown sugar, cardamom, chocolate chip cookies, flaxseed, spelt flour, walnuts
Did You Try This Recipe?
Then let me know what you thought! Share your creations by tagging me on Instagram with the hashtag #plantbasedrdeats