The ultimate vegan, oil free whole grain banana bread. Perfect balance of sweetness and whole good ingredients.
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 4 tbsp water
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom or cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine ground flaxseed and water, stir and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Once flax seeds gel up, add ripe bananas and with a fork or whisk, mash bananas really well until mostly smooth.
- Add in peanut butter, apple cider vinegar, cardamom/cinnamon, vanilla and brown sugar and mix well into the banana and flax egg mixture.
- Add in baking soda and baking powder and whisk together to evenly combine.
- Add in flour 1/2 cup at a time and mix into batter. Repeat until all of the flour is incorporated.
- Add walnuts and chocolate chips then fold them into the batter.
- Batter will be thick, spoon batter into a lightly greased loaf pan and place in the oven.
- Bake in the over for 50-55 minutes, making sure a toothpick comes out clean.
- Feel free to use nut butter of preference. I used peanut butter because it is cheap and typically in my pantry.
- You can also sub out spelt flour for regular flour or whole wheat pastry flour for similar end result.
- Enjoy banana bread as desired! As a treat on it’s own, topped with extra nut butter or even used to make a fancier vegan French toast.
Keywords: banana bread, bananas, brown sugar, cardamom, chocolate chip cookies, flaxseed, spelt flour, walnuts