When my whole apartment smells like warm cinnamon goodness, I feel like I’m living. This apple crumble does this and more. Nice and warm, spiced to perfection and the longer it bakes, the more ooey gooey it becomes. This Easy Apple Crumble only uses a handful of pantry friendly ingredients that you most likely have on hand. And only takes a few minutes to prep. Get this dish in the oven first thing in the morning and you are set for breakfast and happiness for days!
My favorite thing about apple crumble is the crisp topping. And even though there is no butter involved in this recipe, the topping gets so perfectly crispy using other whole plant friendly ingredients. This can be a tricky thing to do. And honestly, if the top doesn’t come out just right, it’s not even worth making. So to help put this together, I combined some peanut butter and maple syrup as the binding and crisping ingredients. As a result, this helps to get that nice chunky and crispy bite I love in this warm dessert.
How to enjoy this easy apple crumble
- Pair it with some ice cream for a real sweet treat
- For more protein, balance your breakfast with some plant based yogurt (feel free to use a soy or higher protein yogurt to help make more satisfying)
- Sprinkle some hemp hearts into the oat crumble mixture for an extra protein boost and some omega 3s
Need some more yummy baking ideas?Print
Easy Apple Crumble
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert
- Cuisine: American
An easy apple crumble with minimal ingredients, a crispy top and gooey apple bottom. Perfect dessert or fun breakfast option for those that need a change up.
- 4 apples
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
For crumble topping
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp almond flour or all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp corn starch
- Set oven to 350F. Chop all apples into bite size pieces, making sure to discard cores. In a bowl combine apples, corn starch, lemon juice, pinch of salt and pumpkin pie spice.
- Toss together with clean hands and place apples at the bottom of a baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine all oat crumble ingredients and stir to combine using a fork. It's okay to see it clump, just make sure peanut butter is spread out as much between the oats as you can.
- With hands, evenly spread oat mixture over apples.
- Take baking tray and place in the oven for 45-5- minutes to allow apples to release moisture and fully soften. Remove from oven and allow to slightly cool before digging in.
- You can replace the almond flour with regular flour.
- Peanut butter can be subbed with other nut butters, or made allergy friendly by replacing nut butter with seed butters like sunflower seed butter or tahini.
- You can under bake this to get a cereal consistency which is really yummy. Just bake for 30 minutes instead of the full time recommended above.
Keywords: almond flour, apples, ginger powder, lemon, maple syrup, oats, peanut butter, pumpkin pie spice
Did You Try This Recipe?
Then let me know what you thought! Share your creations by tagging me on Instagram with the hashtag #plantbasedrdeats
This came out amazing!! Currently eating it with Ube ice cream and it’s delicious. I cut the recipe in half and it turned out great. Loved that the recipe was quick and simple
So thrilled you loved the recipe, Nikita! Thank you so much for making this and love that you ate this with ube ice cream. Sounds so good.