These Roasted Garlic & Herb Chickpeas are a delicious and easy vegan sheet pan dinner. These chickpeas and veggies are coated with dry thyme, basil and oregano to compliment the addition of fresh parsley and cilantro in every bite. Vegan, gluten-free and perfect for easy clean up.
When I saw how many of you loved the dressing I used for my Lemon Orzo Chickpea Salad, I knew I had to use it in another way to make something hearty, delicious and easy. Then I thought, why not use the same concept to make a delicious vegan sheet pan dinner? So I tried it and was blown away with how simple and tasty this whole meal was!
Chickpeas and your favorite veggies, marinated in a delicious garlic and herb dressing, all in one pan to cook up and make your house smell amazing.
Why You’ll Love This Sheet Pan Dinner
- All the flavor, but not much to clean. Everything roasts on one sheet pan, which means not many dishes to do after dinner. But, I also love it because that means less hands on time while dinner cooks.
- This one is a fast one. Between the chopping and roasting, you can have dinner done in 30 minutes. You can also make it faster with a few of the little time saving hacks I have listed below.
- A nourishing and tasty way to get in your veggies. I enjoy veggies the most when they are roasted. Roasting enhances the flavor and texture of vegetables and always has me coming back for more.
- Chickpeas: I used canned chickpeas to save time. Just make sure to rinse and drain well then pat dry in a clean dish towel.
- Herbs: A combination of fresh and dry herbs works best for this sheet pan.
- Garlic: Use at least 4 cloves of garlic or more based on your love of garlic.
- Vegetables: Feel free to use the vegetable variety of your choice, but I stuck to bell pepper, onion, cherry tomatoes, and zucchini.
- Tahini: The perfect creamy condiment for the accompanying dressing. The dressing is totally optional, but I think it really makes a different for the meal.
How to Make This Vegan Sheet Pan Dinner
Start by rinsing and draining your chickpeas. Put them on a clean kitchen towel and gently rub them to remove excess moisture. If some of the chickpea skins come off, just remove them. Then prepare any of the veggies you like by roughly chopping into bite size pieces.
Place the chickpeas and vegetables on a sheet pan. In a separate small bowl, combine your oil, herbs and additional condiments for the marinade and then pour over your veggies and chickpeas. With your hands, make sure to get your veggies and chickpeas fully coated with the herb mixture. Then place in the oven to bake.
You can use the same bowl you used to make your herb mix to make the herb tahini dressing. Totally optional, but really tasty to include over your completed bowl. Combine the tahini ingredients and whisk until smooth and creamy. If the dressing is too thick, just thin it out with another tablespoon of water.
Tips for the Perfect Garlic Herb Chickpeas
- Make sure to dry your chickpeas well. You want to make sure you remove as much moisture from the surface by draining well and continuing to dry off excess moisture using a clean dish towel. This will also help to improve the texture of the chickpeas as they roast.
- Evenly cut your vegetables. Regardless of the vegetables you choose, make sure they are as close to uniformly cut as possible. If you have big cut vegetables and some that are smaller, your ending sheet pan might not be evenly cooked.
- You can save time with this sheet pan by using pre-cut vegetables and minced fresh herbs. Typically you can find these items in the refrigerated part of your produce section.
What to Serve Garlic & Herb Chickpeas With
You can serve this sheet pan a number of different ways. Here are a couple of ideas just in case.
- Serve with some rice or quinoa
- Add some halved baby potatoes to the sheet pan and roast it up to enjoy with the chickpeas
- Serve with a side salad or on top of some greens
- Add as a filling to your favorite wrap or inside of a pita pocket with extra salad greens and take it on the go
Frequently Asked Questions
Honestly, many different protein choices can work in place of the chickpeas. You can use tofu, soy curls, different beans or lentils can work as well as other vegan meat alternatives. Just note that the cooking time might vary and adjust as needed.
To make this in the air fryer, I would recommend setting your air fryer to 375F and bake for 15-20 minutes. Please note, that all air fryer brands vary in terms of heat, so adjust based on your own specific air fryer and just check in between to make sure everything is cooked through.
Whenever I have extra herbs, I love to mince them fine and place in an ice cube tray with some oil or water and freeze for later use. You can pop out one of these ice cubes and then use for meals, soups or stews to help add some additional flavor.
More Vegan Sheet Pan Dinners to Try
- Sheet Pan Sweet Chili Chickpeas
- Sheet Pan Smoky Sweet Potato Chickpeas
- Sheet Pan Cashew Tofu
- Sheet Pan Tahini Ranch Tofu
These Roasted Garlic & Herb Chickpeas are a delicious and easy vegan sheet pan dinner. These chickpeas and veggies are coated with dry thyme, basil and oregano to compliment the addition of fresh parsley and cilantro in every bite.
- 1, 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, cut into thick half moon chunks
- 5–6 thin lemon slices
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4–5 cloves garlic, crushed or finely minced
- 1 tsp dry basil
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt plus more to taste
- 1–2 tsp nutritional yeast, optional
- 1 handful of parsley, stems removed and finely chopped
- 1 handful of cilantro, stems removed and finely chopped
Herby Tahini Dressing
- 2 tbsp tahini
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp of leftover herbs
- 1–2 tbsp of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make sure to dry your chickpeas with a dry kitchen cloth to remove excess moisture. Then, add your chopped vegetables and chickpeas to the sheet pan.
- In a small bowl combine the olive oil, ACV, garlic, basil, thyme, oregano, salt and nutritional yeast. Reserve a tablespoon of the fresh herbs and add the rest to the olive oil mixture. Mix everything well and then add to the vegetables.
- With your hands, make sure to coat your chickpeas and vegetables really well with the marinade and top with lemon slices. Then place in the oven to bake for 20-23 minutes.
- While the chickpeas bake, make the dressing by combining the remaining ingredients to the same small bowl and whisk well until creamy. If the dressing is too thick, add an additional tablespoon of water to thin it out.
- Assemble your bowl by pairing your baked veggies with some grains and topping with your dressing.
Make sure to dry your chickpeas well. You want to make sure you remove as much moisture from the surface by draining well and continuing to dry off excess moisture using a clean dish towel. This will also help to improve the texture of the chickpeas as they roast.
Evenly cut your vegetables. Regardless of the vegetables you choose, make sure they are as close to uniformly cut as possible. If you have big cut vegetables and some that are smaller, your ending sheet pan might not be evenly cooked.
You can save time with this sheet pan by using pre-cut vegetables and minced fresh herbs. Typically you can find these items in the refrigerated part of your produce section.
Keywords: vegan sheet pan recipe, vegan sheet pan dinner, garlic and herb chickpeas
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog, then let me know what you thought in the comments below! And if you loved it, don’t forget to rate it too. Feel free to follow on Instagram, Pinterest, and TikTok for the latest nutrition tips and recipe videos.
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase from those links. I only recommend and share products that I know, trust and personally use myself!