This vegan lasagna soup takes a classic and transforms it into a comforting and hearty soup loaded with a flavorful garlic tomato broth. Perfect to meal prep for a busy work week or to share and impress for a special event.
There’s just something really good and wholesome about lasagna soup. If you’ve never had it before, I can’t encourage you enough to try it. So creamy, delicious and rich. Has amazing elements of the things we love about lasagna with a few little extras to help boost fiber and satiety.
Why you need to make this soup
- An easy way to enjoy the flavors of lasagna without all the effort. It’s a rich tomato based soup that is made even better by mixing in lasagna noodles and topping with some vegan ricotta and cheese.
- This soup is forgiving and can utilize a variety of protein swaps without impacting the flavor.
- This soup is high in vegan protein and fiber.
- Plant Protein: we are using two kinds here, both lentils and vegan sausage, but feel free to stick with one or the other
- Garlic: really adds more body and flavor to the tomatoes
- Seasonings: oregano, basil, rosemary, fennel seeds, thyme and red pepper flakes to add more depth of flavor to the tomatoes
- Nutritional Yeast: helps to add both umami and a little essence of cheesy flavor
- Tomatoes 3 Ways: tomato paste for more intense tomato flavor, crushed tomatoes to make this soup thicker, and diced tomatoes for some extra bite
- Lasagna Noodles: can’t have lasagna without the lasagna noodles, this truly helps to try this soup together and really add that comfort element to this dish
- Sugar: helps to cut back on a little bit of the acid in the tomatoes
How to make this soup
- Start by sautéing your veggies and garlic, making sure to stir well and cook until onions are softened.
- Add in lentils and vegan sausage, stirring well until sausage has browned.
- Stir in tomato paste, nutritional yeast and all of your dry seasonings.
- To the pot, add in the remaining tomatoes, sugar and vegetable broth, stir well and then bring to a boil and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in broken lasagna noodles and bring a to simmer, allowing noodles to fully cook.
- Adjust liquid to preference by adding additional water or broth as needed to help loosen your soup up, and then serve.
Tips for making vegan lasagna soup
- I have provided some suggestions for the amount of liquid you can use. I like this to be a thicker soup to really feel like a messy lasagna, but you can make it more soup-like by stirring in a additional water or broth to your base after the noodles are fully cooked.
- This soup is hearty and does make a lot for you to enjoy. You can store leftovers in an airtight container and enjoy up to 5-6 days. If you want to freeze this soup, I would recommend making the base and excluding the noodles. Freeze the base into smaller portions and when ready to enjoy, cook some noodles separately and then mix into your reheated soup to enjoy.
- Highly recommend adding as many layers of cheesy goodness to this. I love stirring in nutritional yeast, regular vegan cheese shreds and homemade vegan ricotta cheese on top. It also helps to balance out all of the tomatoes, so don’t go without if you can help it.
- The tomatoes might seem overwhelming to some that deal with acid reflux. I would suggest opting for a different non-tomato based soup as there are not really any replacements for it. However, adding a little sugar to the base will help cut back on the power of the acidity slightly.
- If you don’t wish to use vegan sausage you can replace with 1 extra cup of cooked lentils. If you’d rather choose different protein options for this soup, I would recommend cannellini beans, vegan meat crumbles, crumbled tofu, tempeh or just use extra veggies like diced mushrooms and zucchini.
More rich and hearty soups to try
- Creamy Quinoa Coconut Soup
- Lentil and Tomato Macaroni Soup
- The Best Black Bean Soup
- Chipotle Pumpkin Chili
This vegan lasagna soup takes a classic and transforms it into a comforting and hearty soup loaded with a flavorful garlic tomato broth.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup cooked brown lentils (save time by using canned lentils)
- 1 vegan sausage, crumbled (optional, if not using feel free to add an additional cup of cooked lentils)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp dry oregano
- 2 tsp dry basil
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 6–8 lasagna noodles, broken into small pieces
- 1 cup water
- In a large pot, with a splash of oil, add onion, bell pepper and garlic and sauté until onion softens.
- Add in lentils and vegan sausage, stirring well and cooking until sausage has browned a little.
- Stir in tomato paste, nutritional yeast, oregano, basil, rosemary, fennel seeds, thyme and red pepper flakes, mixing well.
- Allow tomato paste to cook for about 1-2 minutes and then add in both cans of tomatoes, the sugar and 5 cups of vegetable broth. Bring soup to a rolling boil and cook for 3-4 minutes then add in the broken lasagna noodles.
- Bring soup to simmer and allow soup to cook for about 10-12 minutes or until noodles have completely softened.
- Pour in additional water if desired to help loosen and thin out soup based on preference. Serve as is or feel free to stir in some vegan cheese or top with some vegan ricotta.
If you don’t wish to use vegan sausage you can replace with 1 extra cup of cooked lentils. If you’d rather choose different protein options for this soup, I would recommend cannellini beans, vegan meat crumbles, crumbled tofu, tempeh or just use extra veggies like diced mushrooms and zucchini.
Keywords: lasagna soup, soup, lentils
Did You Try This Recipe?
Then let me know what you thought! Share your creations by tagging me on Instagram with the hashtag #plantbasedrdeats