This vegan lasagna soup takes a classic and transforms it into a comforting and hearty soup loaded with a flavorful garlic tomato broth.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup cooked brown lentils (save time by using canned lentils)
- 1 vegan sausage, crumbled (optional, if not using feel free to add an additional cup of cooked lentils)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp dry oregano
- 2 tsp dry basil
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 6–8 lasagna noodles, broken into small pieces
- 1 cup water
- In a large pot, with a splash of oil, add onion, bell pepper and garlic and sauté until onion softens.
- Add in lentils and vegan sausage, stirring well and cooking until sausage has browned a little.
- Stir in tomato paste, nutritional yeast, oregano, basil, rosemary, fennel seeds, thyme and red pepper flakes, mixing well.
- Allow tomato paste to cook for about 1-2 minutes and then add in both cans of tomatoes, the sugar and 5 cups of vegetable broth. Bring soup to a rolling boil and cook for 3-4 minutes then add in the broken lasagna noodles.
- Bring soup to simmer and allow soup to cook for about 10-12 minutes or until noodles have completely softened.
- Pour in additional water if desired to help loosen and thin out soup based on preference. Serve as is or feel free to stir in some vegan cheese or top with some vegan ricotta.
If you don’t wish to use vegan sausage you can replace with 1 extra cup of cooked lentils. If you’d rather choose different protein options for this soup, I would recommend cannellini beans, vegan meat crumbles, crumbled tofu, tempeh or just use extra veggies like diced mushrooms and zucchini.
Keywords: lasagna soup, soup, lentils