Anything with coconut poured into it makes it extra luxurious. It is a simple ingredient that can elevate a dish and make it extra creamy and super flavorful. Above all, this recipe happens to be simple to put together even on a busy work night. This is a major bonus in my eyes.
This dish involves a super simple list of ingredients. You may even have most of these ingredients on hand. Outside of the coconut milk, there is the heartiness of red lentils, the robust flavor of chipotle powder and the aromatic flavors of garlic and ginger infused in each bite. And for a little bit of that cozy winter feel, we also have butternut squash in the mix.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Warming and flavorful even with simple ingredients
- You don’t have to compromise nutrition for flavor here (lots of soluble fiber, protein, iron, and even beta carotene from the butternut squash)
- Won’t leave you hungry thanks to the balance of lentils and coconut
- Quick to cook thanks to the use of red lentils
So pull on a nice pair of cozy socks, fill up your bowl to your hearts content and unwind as you sink into this bowl. I do promise that the leftovers are just as enjoyable if not more the next day!Print
Creamy and luscious lentils cooked in coconut milk and flavored with chipotle powder. Filling and satisfying. Do you need more for an easy dinner meal when your work day was crazy?
- 1 cup red lentils (rinsed)
- 1 15 oz can full fat coconut milk (unsweetened)
- 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 small white onion (diced)
- 2 cups butternut squash (diced into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1 inch ginger (minced)
- 1 tbsp garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 cups water
- In a medium pot, add onion and saute until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add in garlic and ginger, and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients to pot and bring ingredients to a soft boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover with a lid and allow to cook and thicken for about 25 minutes or until lentils and butternut squash are cooked through and softened.
- Add salt to taste and stir well before serving.
- If you have an InstaPot or pressure cooker, you can also cook this recipe using it. Feel free to saute ingredients as indicated in the recipe. Add remaining ingredients, seal pressure cooker and set to manual pressure for 17 minutes. Use a natural pressure release before unsealing. Stir well then serve.
- I recommend serving with rice or heating up some naan to enjoy with it.
- Make prepping this super easy by using jarred, pre-minced garlic and ginger, as well as pre-diced butternut squash from your produce section. No shame in using short cuts to save time!
Keywords: butternut squash, chipotle, coconut, coconut milk, dinner, garlic, ginger, lentils, onion, red lentils, tomatoes, turmeric
Did You Try This Recipe?
Then let me know what you thought! Share your creations by tagging me on Instagram with the hashtag #plantbasedrdeats