Creamy and luscious lentils cooked in coconut milk and flavored with chipotle powder. Filling and satisfying. Do you need more for an easy dinner meal when your work day was crazy?
- 1 cup red lentils (rinsed)
- 1 15 oz can full fat coconut milk (unsweetened)
- 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 small white onion (diced)
- 2 cups butternut squash (diced into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1 inch ginger (minced)
- 1 tbsp garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 cups water
- In a medium pot, add onion and saute until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add in garlic and ginger, and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients to pot and bring ingredients to a soft boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover with a lid and allow to cook and thicken for about 25 minutes or until lentils and butternut squash are cooked through and softened.
- Add salt to taste and stir well before serving.
- If you have an InstaPot or pressure cooker, you can also cook this recipe using it. Feel free to saute ingredients as indicated in the recipe. Add remaining ingredients, seal pressure cooker and set to manual pressure for 17 minutes. Use a natural pressure release before unsealing. Stir well then serve.
- I recommend serving with rice or heating up some naan to enjoy with it.
- Make prepping this super easy by using jarred, pre-minced garlic and ginger, as well as pre-diced butternut squash from your produce section. No shame in using short cuts to save time!
Keywords: butternut squash, chipotle, coconut, coconut milk, dinner, garlic, ginger, lentils, onion, red lentils, tomatoes, turmeric