One of my favorite go to sandwiches utilizes one of my favorite foods, chickpeas! They almost seem to be everywhere nowadays, even in my sandwiches. Definitely not complaining about that either because I adore the bite, texture and flavor chickpeas provide in various dishes. Not only that, but as you can guess, they are swimming with nutrition. They contain a significant amount of protein, iron, zinc, folate, and a whopping 12.5 grams of fiber per cup. Recent studies also show that when included in the diet, that individuals noticed more overall satisfaction with their meals and often naturally consumed less food overall. So, back to that sandwich I mentioned…it’s pretty delicious, cheap and simple to make.
All you really need for the base of our sandwich are chickpeas (canned or freshly cooked, honestly go for what’s most convenient for you), good quality hummus, and some spice and herbs to bring out more flavor. Some extra additions you can mix in depending on how much you want to chop include minced red onion, chopped celery or pickled relish. Most of the effort you really have to add in would be in the form of how you choose to assemble your sandwich.
My sandwiches always get some greens, some type of tomato and something crunchy like cucumbers. I’ll also either choose to spread some condiments like mustard or extra hummus on my bread, but totally up to you. For this sandwich I went with mustard for that vinegary bite, some baby kale, cucumber, and some really flavorful orange cherry tomatoes. If it’s within your taste, I would also highly recommend some good quality whole grain bread. Stuff it with all the goods, cut into it and marvel at a sandwich that will actually satisfy.
Smashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 3 sandwiches 1x
- Category: Lunch
A real sandwich shouldn’t leave you hungry. Enter this smashed chickpea sandwich flavored with dill, pickled relish and smoked paprika. I’d also recommend throwing in a little spice to kick it up a notch, but totally optional.
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup hummus
- 1 tbsp pickled relish
- 3 sprigs fresh dill, minced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 6 slices whole grain bread
- Additional tomato, greens, and sandwich condiments of choice
- In a medium size bowl, mash up chickpeas lightly using the back of a fork or a potato masher.
- To chickpeas add in all seasonings, relish and dill then give a good even mix using a spoon.
- Add in hummus to mixture and give another good stir to evenly combine. If mixture appears a little dry or doesn’t clump well together, add in another spoonful of hummus.
- Take bread, smear some condiments on top then assemble sandwich as desired, layering greens, chickpea mixture and additional veggies to help add more texture.
- As a side note, if using canned chickpeas, to help reduce sodium give the beans a good rinse before beginning this recipe.
- If cooking up beans fresh, you can use 1 3/4 cup beans to replace the canned beans used in this recipe.
- Some other things you can add to this chickpea salad include chopped celery and red or green onion.
amazing! great flavor
Thank you Sophia! 🙂 So glad you enjoyed.