A real sandwich shouldn’t leave you hungry. Enter this smashed chickpea sandwich flavored with dill, pickled relish and smoked paprika. I’d also recommend throwing in a little spice to kick it up a notch, but totally optional.
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup hummus
- 1 tbsp pickled relish
- 3 sprigs fresh dill, minced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 6 slices whole grain bread
- Additional tomato, greens, and sandwich condiments of choice
- In a medium size bowl, mash up chickpeas lightly using the back of a fork or a potato masher.
- To chickpeas add in all seasonings, relish and dill then give a good even mix using a spoon.
- Add in hummus to mixture and give another good stir to evenly combine. If mixture appears a little dry or doesn’t clump well together, add in another spoonful of hummus.
- Take bread, smear some condiments on top then assemble sandwich as desired, layering greens, chickpea mixture and additional veggies to help add more texture.
- As a side note, if using canned chickpeas, to help reduce sodium give the beans a good rinse before beginning this recipe.
- If cooking up beans fresh, you can use 1 3/4 cup beans to replace the canned beans used in this recipe.
- Some other things you can add to this chickpea salad include chopped celery and red or green onion.