This vegan inspired Latin nourish bowl combines a vegan version of chicharrons de pollo made from soy curls. This delicious plant based protein is paired in a bowl with rice, beans, corn and avocado and is the perfect dinner meal prep.
- 1, 8oz (227g) package of soy curls
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 3–4 cups hot water (enough to cover the soy curls)
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube or 1 tsp vegetable bouillon base
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp sazon
- ½ tsp adobo
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of 1/2 lime over top
- In a bowl, add your soy curls and pour over top hot water, vegetable bouillon, vinegar and a generous pinch of salt, then allow to sit and soak for at least 5-10 minutes.
- Drain the liquid from the soy curls using a mesh strainer and carefully squeeze out as much liquid from the soy curls as you can.
- Add your soy curls back to the bowl and pour in your cornstarch, sazon, adobo, garlic, onion powder, paprika, ground cumin and coriander then toss to coat. ***
- Warm up your oil in a skillet and add in your soy curls and sauté for about 5-8 minutes to help brown your soy curls. It helps to cook them untouched for about 3 minutes and then toss and cook again untouched for another few minutes.
- Pour in soy sauce and sauté again until your soy curls have absorbed the soy sauce and starts to brown more, about 5 minutes.
- At the very end, add a squeeze of lime juice and adjust salt and pepper over top to your liking. See notes below for instructions for assembling your Latin Nourish Bowl. ***
As an important note, this recipe is a short cut. If you’d like to take an extra few minutes to add even more flavor, I highly recommend crushing your garlic in a mortar and pestle into your spices, then mixing that with the soy curls and sprinkle with cornstarch. Fresh garlic always makes a difference and it just smells amazing.
You can technically make this recipe without oil, but it won’t be as tender and flavorful because the oil makes a lot of the flavor blossom more.
Don’t overcook your soy curls. If you dry them out completely, they will come out similar to jerky and be a little too chewy. We want a little moisture, but some crispy edges.
To assemble your Latin Nourish Bowl, add 1 serving of soy curls along with a serving of black beans, a serving of fire roasted corn (I used thawed frozen corn), and a serving of Mexican rice. Top with 1/2 an avocado, cilantro, salsa, and/or hot sauce.
Keywords: nourish bowls, dinner recipes, quick and easy