Crispy Black Bean Tacos an easy and cheap weeknight meal that comes together quickly. These tacos are stuffed with a delicious seasoned chipotle black bean filling and baked until crispy and golden.
- Avocado oil for cooking
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp dry oregano
- 1/4 tsp dry thyme
- 2, 15oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 chipotle peppers from a can packed in adobo sauce, minced
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 8–10 corn tortillas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lime wedges for serving
- Avocado slices or Cilantro Lime Sauce for serving
- Preheat oven to 425F. To a large rimmed baking sheet, drizzle about 2 tablespoons of oil and brush to evenly coat.
- Heat up a medium sized sauté pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan to warm through. Add the onions along with a pinch of salt and sauté until softened. Stir in the garlic, sauteing until fragrant.
- Sprinkle in the paprika, coriander, oregano, and thyme and stir to combine. Add in the black beans and chipotle peppers and continue to sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and with a potato masher or the back of a large cooking spoon, lightly mash your beans until the mixture starts to bind together then remove from heat. If the mixture is loose, cook for an extra 2-3 minutes and allow to sit for a few minutes to thicken. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Wrap the stack of tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for 15-30 seconds to steam them. Take each taco and place on the greased baking sheet, giving a flip to coat both sides in oil. To each tortilla, spread about 2-3 tablespoons of the mashed black beans over half a tortilla and fold it over. To make sure your taco stays closed after folding, carefully flip the taco over so the filling placed on the bottom of the taco is weighing down on the other side.
- Arrange the folded tortillas on the greased baking sheet in a single layer with space between the tacos. Place in the oven to bake for 8 minutes, then carefully flip the tacos and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes until nice and golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 3-5 minutes to allow them to crisp up more and enjoy served with extra lime and salsas of choice.
Warm your tortillas up before stuffing. You can warm them through for a few seconds in a skillet or wrapped in a moist paper towel in the microwave for 15 seconds to help make them more pliable.
Adjust spice level to preference. If not a fan of spice, use less chipotle peppers or just use the adobo sauce from the can.
Avoid overstuffing. Just 2-3 tablespoons of filling is enough for the average sized tortilla. Overstuffing can make the tortilla more likely to rip.
Prep all your ingredients before cooking. This recipe comes together quick, so making sure that you have things pre-measured and ready to add to the pan quickly will help make sure that everything cooks appropriately.
Make sure the tortillas are coated well in oil. This will help make the tortillas crisp up without drying out when baking.
Try different add-ins. Sauté some bell peppers with the onions for extra vegetables. If you want a gooey filling, add some vegan cheese shreds to your tacos.
Keywords: black bean tacos, crispy black bean tacos