Fudgy chocolate peanut butter stuffed cookies. A decadent cookie that is easy to put together when you want to impress.
Peanut Butter Filling
- 1/2 cup creamy natural peanut butter, salted
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup (95g) dark chocolate chunks or disks
- 3 tbsp (42g) vegan stick butter
- 1/2 cup (105g) light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (30g) Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (135g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Combine your ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water and set to the side.
- Mix together your peanut butter with 2 tablespoons of maple syrup in a separate bowl until it thickens. Spoon about 2 teaspoons onto a parchment lined tray or dish and place in the freezer.
- In a microwave safe dish, add your chocolate chunks and butter. Place the dish in the microwave and heat in 15 second intervals, stirring in between until the chocolate melts and becomes completely smooth. For reference, this took between 30-45 seconds.
- To the chocolate mixture, whisk in your brown sugar, cocoa powder, maple syrup and vanilla, mixing until the cocoa powder is well combined and no cocoa powder clumps remain.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and whisk to combine.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the flour and add the flax mixture. Fold the ingredients together until a uniform dough forms. Cover the bowl and allow the dough to rest on the countertop for 30 minutes and preheat the oven to 350F.
- Portion out 2 tablespoons of dough into your hand and flatten with your fingers. Place the chilled peanut butter in the center, and wrap the dough around it to seal. Roll the dough in your hands to smooth it out and place on a parchment lined baking tray. Flatten the dough slightly with your fingers, then repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake in the oven for 11 minutes. Once out of the oven, use a large cup or bowl to swirl around each cookie to create perfectly round cookies then allow to continue to cool before enjoying.
Use Dutch processed cocoa powder for a deeper chocolate flavor. This recipe is forgiving, so technically you can use either regular cocoa powder or Dutch-processed. However, I do recommend the Dutch-processed for a deeper color and fudgier taste to the cookies.
Bloom your cocoa powder for the best flavor. Cocoa powder flavor can be enhanced when incorporated with a hot liquid like hot water, coffee, milk, oil or butter. Instead of mixing the cocoa powder with the dry ingredients, mixing the cocoa powder with the hot melted butter mixture provides a richer chocolate flavor in this recipe.
Measure your ingredients using a scale. This will ensure accurate results as often measuring with a measuring cup doesn’t always yield the same accuracy.
For an extra gooey center, add some chopped chocolate chunks into the center with the peanut butter.
Keywords: peanut butter stuffed cookies