These air fryer Zucchini Fries are a flavorful and addicting way to use up some summer zucchini. Toss in a quick batter, bread it and bake to crispy perfection.
- 2 medium zucchinis, cut into 1/4 inch fry shapes
- 1 tbsp unsweetened plain plant based yogurt (I used Forager Project)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened plant based milk
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs*
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp of everything but the bagel seasoning
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Cooking spray
Ketchup Mayo Dip
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp vegan mayo
- 1/4 tsp tajin or chili lime seasoning, or more to taste
- Place your zucchini sticks on a clean kitchen towel and sprinkle salt over top. Let them sit for 10 minutes while you prep your other ingredients. This step will help draw out excess moisture from your zucchini. With another towel gently pat the zucchini dry.
- In a small bowl combine the yogurt and plant based milk and whisk together. Set this mixture to the side. In a separate large bowl place the bread crumbs, nutritional yeast, and everything but the bagel seasoning and mix together.
- Place the dry zucchini in an airtight container with the cornstarch. Seal with the lid and give a good shake. Pour the yogurt mix on top, seal again and shake.
- Place the battered zucchini in small batches into the panko mixture. Toss until the zucchini is mostly coated in panko and then place into your air fryer basket and spray with your cooking oil. Cook the zucchini at 400F for 11-12 minutes or until the outside is golden.
- Mix the dipping sauce ingredients and enjoy along with the zucchini.
Large zucchinis tend to have larger seeds and a softer center that is more moist. These will yield a mushier fry, so stick to small or medium sized zucchini.
Zucchinis are very watery. It’s important to draw out as much moisture from them as possible to help with keeping them crispy when cooked.
Press the breadcrumbs into zucchini. This will make sure that the breadcrumbs are touching the batter and stick.
You can make this gluten-free and still vegan by using the gluten-free panko crumbs from Kikkoman.
To bake in the oven set your oven to 425F. Place the breaded zucchini on a parchment lined baking tray and then spray with your favorite cooking oil. Place the strips in the oven for 20 minutes. Flip them and then bake for another 5-7 minutes until golden.
Keywords: air fryer zucchini fries, baked zucchini fries, zucchini fries