This Roasted Chickpea Sweet Potato Bowl cooks on one sheet pan in 30 minutes. Coated and roasted in chili lime spices for a satisfying bite. A perfect effortless meal prep that is vegan and gluten-free.
- 1 lb or about 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1, 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or your favorite high heat oil
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast or soy sauce
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder or smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 bell peppers, any color roughly chopped
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Rub your drained chickpeas dry in a clean kitchen towel. Remove any excess skins that may come off in the process.
- Add the chickpeas to a large mixing bowl along with the diced potatoes then add the oil, nutritional yeast, chipotle chili powder, cumin, coriander, thyme, garlic powder and salt. Toss everything together until evenly coated.
- To a parchment lined baking sheet, spread the chickpea and sweet potato mixture out into a single layer making sure your sweet potato pieces are placed cut side down on the baking sheet. Place in the oven to roast for 15 minutes.
- While you wait, toss your chopped peppers in the bowl containing the excess oil and seasonings used for the sweet potato mixture and set aside.
- At the 15 minute mark, give the potatoes and chickpeas a flip then if your pan is large enough or on a separate lined pan add the chopped bell peppers. Place back in the oven for another 15 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Once out of the oven, toss your veggies, potatoes and chickpeas together with the lime zest and a fresh squeeze of lime juice and then serve with warm tortillas, rice or quinoa.
Regardless of the bean used, make sure to drain and dry the beans as well as possible before coating in the oil and spices. Extra moisture will just cause them to steam and not roast. So drain in a colander really well then place in a clean kitchen towel to help remove excess moisture.
Do not overcrowd the pan. If you do not have a large sheet pan, feel free to divide the ingredients between more than one pan.
Place cut sweet potato cut side down. This will help you get the proper sear and browning on your sweet potatoes as they roast.
Ensure that all veggies and chickpeas are spread out in a single layer. This will encourage the veggies and sweet potatoes to sear instead of steam.
Keywords: vegan sheet pan recipe, roasted chickpea sweet potato bowl