The ultimate guide for perfectly Crispy Baked Tofu. Easy to make and a great high protein vegetarian or vegan option to add to any meal.
- 1 (450 g) block of extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or coconut aminos to make gluten-free
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- Preheat your oven to 425F. Cut the tofu out of its container and dump any of the excess water it was sitting in. Press the tofu by either using a tofu press or wrapping the tofu in a clean kitchen towel and setting some heavy objects overtop to help press out excess water for at least 30 minutes.
- Once your tofu is pressed, drain the excess water, pat your tofu dry and then cube it.
- Place the tofu in a bowl and add your cornstarch, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, oil and seasonings. Toss the tofu to completely coat and then place the tofu on a parchment lined baking sheet making sure you space out your tofu.
- Place the tofu in the oven and roast for 30 minutes, making sure to flip the tofu half way through at the 15 minute mark.
Freeze your tofu for even better texture. If you have the time, I recommend freezing your tofu and then thawing it before using. Once thawed, press out excess water as described above. Freezing and thawing will help to make the tofu more textured and even help with absorbing more flavor.
If using extra firm tofu, make sure to press it really well and remove excess water. Extra water in your tofu will make it harder for it to crisp up in the oven.
Allow enough space for your tofu to bake. Do not overcrowd your pan or your tofu will not crisp up.
To store, place cooled tofu in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. To heat back up, place the tofu pieces into a toaster oven and heat through for 4-5 minutes.
Keywords: crispy baked tofu, baked tofu, how to make crispy baked tofu