Healthy Air Fryer Plantains that are perfectly crispy and easy to make. All you need for this fun snack are 2 ingredients and an air fryer.
- 2 green plantains, ends cut and skin peeled
- 2–3 tbsp olive oil or neutral oil
- Salt to taste
- Avocado for serving
- Peel and cut your plantain into 1 inch pieces. Place in a medium sized bowl with a tablespoon of oil and toss to coat completely.
- Place your plantains in the air fryer, making sure they are not piled on top of each other, for 10 minutes at 325F.
- Place the plantains back in the bowl and while they are still hot, place on a cutting board and either use a tostonera or flat bottomed cup or plate and flatten your plantains.
- Take your flattened plantains and coat with the remaining oil to coat all of the plantains very well.
- Place back in the air fryer at 325F and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes until nice and golden. Serve immediately with a pinch of salt and some mashed avocado.
Cut your plantains into coins that are no bigger than 1 inch. Don’t make your plantain pieces too big or they may not cook through all the way in the air fryer.
Make sure to use enough oil to coat your plantains. This will seal in their moisture and provide the perfect condition to crisp them up.
Use fresh green plantains. Do not refrigerate your plantains. This will cause them to dry out and break apart much easier when you smash them.
Keywords: healthy air fryer plantains, air fryer green plantains, Dominican tostones, crispy tostones