These grilled tofu skewers are marinated with a sazon seasoning blend and a squeeze of fresh citrusy lime then grilled to perfection. This recipe is vegan, gluten-free and high in plant based protein.
- 2 blocks (450g each) extra firm tofu
- 1/4 cup tamari
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or preferred liquid sweetener
- 1 tbsp neutral oil
- 1 tbsp sazon
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium red onion, cut into large chunks
- 2 cups thick asparagus pieces or other vegetable of choice
- To prepare your tofu, drain it of it’s liquid from the container it comes in. Make sure to press excess water out of your tofu and then press the tofu itself for at least an hour.
- In a bowl or ziplock bag, add your soy sauce, lime, syrup, oil, sazon and garlic and give a gentle mix.
- Once tofu is pressed and drained, cut your tofu into chunks and place in the marinade. Give the tofu a good shake or stir and allow to sit in the marinade for at least 1 hour.
- Grab your skewers and start to thread your tofu, onion and asparagus on to it until your skewer is full, then repeat with remaining skewers until all your ingredients are used up. Feel free to customize your skewers as desired.
- Place your skewers on a preheated griddle or grill pan and allow to cook for about 4 minutes until grill marks appear. Then flip to cook on the other side for an additional 3-4 minutes. Repeat with remaining skewers.
- Once cooked, remove from heat and place on a cooling rack. Enjoy as is or pair with some of the suggested sides.
Don’t cut your tofu too thin. I cut each block of tofu into thick chunks to make sure it could thread onto the skewers easily.
To prevent your skewers from burning, make sure to soak in some water for at least 10 to 30 minutes to help prevent them from burning as they cook with the tofu.
While I used asparagus and onion chunks to add to the skewers, feel free to use the vegetables you prefer most.
Keywords: grilled tofu skewers, grilled tofu