These vegan taco pinwheels are a combo of fluffy dough wrapped around taco meat and cheese! These appetizers are easy to make and perfect for summer entertaining.
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 packet of yeast
- 2 tbsp organic sugar, divided
- 2 cups One Degree Organic’s Spelt Flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour + extra flour for rolling out
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup Vegan Taco Meat
- ½ cup Salsa
- 1 cup vegan cheese
- In a microwave safe mug add water and 1 tablespoon of sugar then place in the microwave for 15 seconds to warm up. Make sure to test the water with your finger to make sure the water is not too hot.
- Add your yeast to the water, mix and let stand for 5 minutes to activate. You should see the yeast foam up.
- To a bowl, add in your remaining dry dough ingredients and mix well, then add in your yeast mixture and oil then give a good mix to form a dough. If the dough is too sticky, sprinkle a little flour on top and knead it until a smooth dough forms. Grease your mixing bowl and place the dough back in, cover with a clean cloth and place in a warm spot to rise for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle a clean flat working surface with flour and lay your dough down. With a rolling pin, flatten your dough to a rectangular shape about ¼ inch in thickness.
- To the surface spread on your salsa, sprinkle with the vegan taco meat and then layer on with cheese.
- Starting from one end, start to tuck and roll your dough into a log shape similar to making a cinnamon roll.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the log into 16 even pieces. Place these pieces into 2, 9inch x 9inch greased baking dishes, making sure you give space in between for the dough to rise.
- Cover the baking dishes with a towel and allow to rise for 30 minutes while preheating your oven to 375F.
- Place the buns into the oven for 15-17 minutes until the tops are golden. Allow to slightly cool before serving.
To measure flour appropriately, just make sure to spoon your flour into a measuring cup.
I have not tested this recipe with other flour alternatives. You may need to adjust the liquids as needed to produce a proper dough consistency.
You can make a no yeast version of this dough by following the instructions in my pizza pinwheels post.
Keywords: taco pinwheels, pinwheels, vegetable pinwheels, vegan appetizers