This recipe for Mexican Rice is easy, uses few ingredients and comes together in less than 30 minutes. It’s delicious on its own or as a side! This recipe is naturally gluten-free and vegan.
- 3 roma tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 jalapeno, end removed
- 1/4 roughly chopped yellow onion
- 1 tbsp neutral oil
- 2 cups white jasmine rice
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- In a blender, add tomatoes, garlic, jalapeno and onion and blend on high until smooth.
- Warm some oil in a pan with a pinch of salt and then add in rice and move it around to lightly toast it for a few minutes, about 3-4 minutes.
- To the pan, pour in the tomato puree and sauté it into the rice until rice absorbs it and no remaining liquid is in the pan.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, give a good stir and bring to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer and cover with a lid and cook for 12-15 minutes until rice absorbs all the liquid.
- Remove the pan from heat and let it stand for 3-5 minutes then fluff with a fork and enjoy.
To get the perfect rice make sure you measure out your liquids appropriately. If you use too much liquid or eye ball without knowing much about rice, you will end up with mushy rice.
For fluffy rice, make sure you let your rice stand and steam at the end of cooking before fluffing with a fork.
The flavor of your rice will depend on your ingredients. Try to make sure your tomatoes are good quality (nice and red) and ripe for maximum flavor. If not, make sure to adjust your salt at the end to help with the flavor.
Keywords: side dish recipes, quick and easy