These soft vegan pumpkin cinnamon rolls use real pumpkin, the right amount of pumpkin spice and are topped with a maple cream cheese frosting.
Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 14 oz packet of instant yeast
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup coconut cream or coconut oil
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour or bread flour (spoon into measuring cup and level)
- 1/2 tsp salt
Cinnamon Roll Filling
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coconut cream (butter or coconut oil)
Salted Maple Cream Cheese
- 4 oz of plain vegan cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a microwave safe mug, add in almond milk and maple syrup and place in the microwave for 45-50 seconds. Mix well and test to make sure that milk is not too hot, should just be slightly warm.
- Add packet of yeast into the mug, give a quick mix and allow to set for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, add pumpkin, coconut cream and yeast mixture then give it a good stir.
- Mix in pumpkin spice, salt and flour and with spatula fold ingredients together to begin forming a dough.
- With clean hands, kneed dough on a floured surface or in your mixing bowl for about 5 to 8 minutes. You should be left with a smooth and slightly sticky dough.
- Leave the dough in your mixing bowl, cover the top with a cloth napkin. Turn the light of your oven on and place bowl inside oven (oven should be off) and allow to rise for an hour.
- While dough is rising, mix together brown sugar, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Once dough has doubled in size, transfer dough to a well floured surface and roll it out into a thin rectangle shape.
- With a brush or your hands, spread coconut cream all over the surface of the dough. Then sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture evenly over the dough surface, and lightly pat down mixture.
- Taking the short end of the dough, tightly roll your dough up into a log shape seam facing down. If log is fat in the center, gently stretch log from the center to even it out.
- With a serrated knife, cut dough into 12 equal sized rolls and place rolls in a greased 9×13 inch pan making sure rolls have space in between them. Place pan into the oven with the light on and allow to rise for an extra 30 minutes. Remove and then, preheat your oven to 350F.
- Place cinnamon buns in the oven and bake for 17 to 20 minutes.
- As cinnamon buns bake, prepare salted maple cream cheese glaze. Place glaze ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk together until smooth and set aside.
- Once buns are baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes and then spread with glaze and enjoy.
- I have not tested this recipe with gluten free flours, but I highly recommend these cinnamon rolls by Okonomi Kitchen if you need a gluten free alternative.
Keywords: cinnamon rolls, pumpkin