These sweet and sour chickpeas are a quick and easy healthy dinner option that only uses a handful of condiments to make the perfect sauce.
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp garlic chili sauce
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 5 mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, minced
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- In a cup prepare corn starch slurry by whisking together corn starch and water until corn starch is fully dissolved, then set aside.
- In a separate cup or bowl add soy sauce, maple syrup, chili garlic sauce, vinegar, ketchup and mustard and whisk together then set aside.
- Bring a saute pan up to medium heat.
- Add in onion and mushrooms to the pan and saute until onions are softened.
- Add in broccoli, garlic and ginger and saute for 30 seconds to a minute until fragrant.
- Add in chickpeas, stir together to combine, then add in the sauce you whisked together.
- Stir well and then add in corn starch slurry.
- Stir and allow to simmer on low until sauce thickens, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir well again and serve as desired.
- Feel free to swap out the maple syrup with another liquid sweetener of choice or for equal amounts brown sugar.
- If you do not have ketchup swap in for 1/2 tbsp tomato paste and a little extra sweetener to taste.
- You can replace corn starch with regular flour, chickpea flour, or arrow root powder.
Keywords: sweet and sour chickpeas