This marinated kale pasta salad is dressing in a tangy sweet maple mustard dressing that will make eating veggies a little easier. Easy to customize and meal prep for your next lunch.
- 1, 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 unpeeled garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp plus 1/2 tsp avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- Kosher salt, as needed
Pasta Salad & Dressing
- 8 oz orecchiette pasta
- 6 leaves of lacinato kale, stems removed and cut into strips
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 2 tbsp jarred sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, julienned
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 4 oz jarred sweet bell pepper strips, drained (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, stems removed and minced
- 2 tbsp chives, minced
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plain plant-based yogurt (I used Forager Project)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2–3 tsp maple syrup (or adjust to taste)
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Place the chickpeas on a clean kitchen towel and pat dry. Place the chickpeas on a parchment lined baking tray then drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil and a pinch of salt. Toss to coat and spread out in a single layer on the tray. Place the garlic cloves on a small sheet of parchment paper and drizzle with a 1/2 teaspoon of oil. Seal the parchment around the cloves and place on the baking tray with the chickpeas. Then place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the tray, sprinkle the chickpeas with the seasonings and toss to coat using a spoon. Return to the oven to bake for another 10 minutes.
- While the chickpeas roast, bring a pot of water to a boil with 2 teaspoons of salt. Add the pasta and cook according to box instructions until al dente then drain and rinse with cold water and set to the side.
- To a large mixing bowl add the kale, shallots, sun-dried tomatoes, half the zest and juice of a lemon and a pinch of salt. Use your hands to rub the ingredients into the kale until it has softened, about 1-2 minutes. Add the pasta, bell pepper, parsley, chives and half the roasted chickpeas then prepare the dressing.
- Remove the roasted garlic from their peels and place on a cutting board. Mash and mince the garlic well then add to a small bowl with the yogurt, oil, mustard, vinegar, maple syrup, the remaining lemon zest and juice and a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk to combine then pour the dressing over the bowl of pasta then toss to coat. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to preference.
- Serve the pasta salad with more of the crispy chickpeas on top and enjoy.
Don’t overcook your pasta. You want to cook your pasta until it is al dente. Most packaged pasta will provide a cooking range. I recommend cooking to the shortest suggested time. Example, if it says 12-14 minutes, cook for 12 minutes.
Massage the kale well. You want to rub a little oil, salt and lemon into the kale to help soften and break it down. This will make it easier to chew and remove some of the bitterness that is naturally found in kale.
Change up the vegetables. This is an easy salad to customize to your own needs. Feel free to swap any of the listed vegetable ideas for a different vegetable you prefer.
Adjust the sweetness of your dressing. Make the dressing starting with 2 teaspoons of maple syrup. If it is too tangy, whisk in no more than 1 teaspoon of maple syrup at a time until the dressing is to your liking.
Keywords: kale pasta salad