These crispy lemon herb tofu patties comes together with simple ingredients and bakes in the oven. High in protein and served over a fresh and herby lemony slaw.
- 1 lb super firm tofu
- 1 medium russet potato
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup parsley, stems removed and finely minced
- Juice and zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube, crumbled
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp tamari
- Oil for roasting
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, stems removed and finely minced
- 3 tbsp fresh dill, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh chives, minced
- 1/3 cup unsweetened plain dairy-free yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Zest and juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt as needed
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Place a box grater over a large bowl and use it to grate the tofu over the side with the largest holes. Shred the potato into a clean kitchen towel, then ring out the excess moisture from the potatoes. Measure out 1/2 cup of the potato shreds and add to the bowl of tofu.
- Add the breadcrumbs, flour, herbs, lemon zest and juice, seasonings, bouillon cube, mayo and tamari.
- Use your hands to give everything an even mix, then squeeze and pinch the mixture until it starts to form a moldable mixture.
- Measure out 1/3 cup of the tofu mixture into your palm and tightly mold it into a patty. Place the patties on a parchment baking tray. Repeat with the remaining mixture until you have 6 patties total. Brush or spray the patties with a little oil then bake in the oven for 40 minutes, flipping the patties half way.
- Meanwhile prepare the slaw. Add the cabbage to a large mixing bowl with the herbs, and a pinch of salt. In a separate bowl combine the yogurt, garlic, mustard, lemon juice and zest, red wine vinegar, maple syrup and a pinch of salt. Whisk to combine then pour over the slaw. Toss to combine with your hands until evenly mixed then set aside.
- Divide the slaw among serving plates then top the plates with 1-2 patties. Drizzle with leftover lemon yogurt sauce as desired and enjoy.
Let the tofu patties cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Once the patties are done baking they will feel soft. They will continue to firm up as they cool.
Remove excess liquid from the potato. Once shredded, add the potato to a clean kitchen towel and ring out some of the excess moisture in the potato. This will help prevent your tofu patty from being too well and help it better bind together when molding into patties.
If using extra firm tofu. You can make this using extra firm tofu, but you will need to press your tofu before using. I recommend pressing it for at least an hour before starting this recipe to remove as much excess moisture as possible.
Double the slaw sauce. Make extra sauce to use to drizzle over the patties when serving.
Keywords: tofu patties