This plate of Lemon Glazed Roasted Carrots is served over a delicious herby rice salad. Easy to assemble and great to make ahead for any upcoming gatherings.
- 1 cup dry white Jasmine rice, rinsed well
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and chopped on a bias
- 2 shallots, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, optional
- 1, 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- Zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 3/4 cup fresh parsley, stems removed and minced
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, stems removed and minced
- 1/3 cup toasted almonds, finely chopped
- 4–5 medjool dates, pitted and diced
- 1–2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1–2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425F then cook the rice according to package instructions.
- Add the carrots and shallots to a sheet pan then top with the coriander, cumin, fennel seeds, about 1 tablespoon of oil (use more if needed), and a generous pinch of salt. Toss together to evenly coat the vegetables then spread them out into an even layer so nothing is overlapping.
- Place the chickpeas in a clean kitchen towel and pat dry of excess moisture then transfer to a separate baking tray. Drizzle the chickpeas with the remaining avocado oil and a pinch of salt. Toss the chickpeas to coat then spread out in a single layer on the tray.
- Place the tray of carrots on the top shelf and bake for 30-35 minutes until the bottoms are caramelized. Bake the tray of chickpeas on the bottom rack for 20 minutes, giving them a toss and returning to the oven for an additional 10 minutes until crispy.
- Use the roasting time to prep the remaining ingredients. To one bowl add the zest and juice of half a lemon along with mustard, maple syrup, half of the minced parsley and mint, almonds and a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Stir well to combine then when the carrots are done roasting, add the carrots to the bowl and toss together to coat.
- To a separate bowl add the rice, roasted chickpeas, remaining herbs, garlic, dates, vinegar, remaining lemon zest and juice, oil and a generous pinch of salt. Toss everything together until evenly incorporated then taste and adjust salt to preference.
- To assemble, add the rice to a large serving platter then top with the roasted carrots and garnish with more herbs if desired and enjoy.
To get caramelized carrots, make sure that the carrots have enough space on the tray so they are not overlapping. This will help allow the carrots to have more contact with the bottom of the tray which will encourage searing versus steaming.
Once added to the salad, the chickpeas will soften, but retain their chew. If you prefer to keep the chickpeas crispy, wait to add the chickpeas until the very last moment before serving.
For crispy chickpeas, do the initial 20 minute roast then remove the tray from the oven and allow it to cool for 10 minutes. Toss the chickpeas then place back in the oven for 10-15 more minutes then allow the chickpeas to cool again until they are crispy.
Adjust the seasonings and flavors to your liking. Use more or less of certain ingredients based on preference and feel free to change up ingredients. This is your dish and you can make it however you like.
Keywords: lemon glazed roasted carrots, rice salad