This Crispy Rice Bowl is loaded with fluffy hummus and topped with pan-seared golden rice, crispy lentils and stewed tomatoes. Simple ingredients that come together quick for an easy dinner.
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 1/2 cups cooked French lentils or 1, 15 oz can of small brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp za’atar
- 2 cups cooked sushi rice or medium grain white rice
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed with a garlic press
- 1/4 tsp Aleppo pepper or red pepper flakes
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup parsley, minced
- Store bought or homemade hummus
- Pickled red onions
- Kosher salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F. If cooking lentils or rice from scratch, use package instructions. Cook the lentils until al dente then drain.
- Pat the lentils dry with a clean kitchen towel then spread them out on a parchment lined baking tray. Add the garlic powder and coriander then drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil. Toss to evenly coat then spread the lentils out on the tray in a single layer.
- Place the tray in the oven and roast for 10 minutes, then stir and return to the oven for 3-5 minutes until crispy. Remove from the oven then top with the za’atar, stir with a spoon and set aside to cool.
- Heat a heavy bottom pan over medium heat and add in the remaining oil. Once the oil is hot, add the rice to the pan along with a pinch of salt. With a spatula, flatten the rice into an even layer and allow it to cook undisturbed for about 4-5 minutes or until you see the rice become golden on the bottom. Use your spatula to break the rice into chunks and flip each piece over to cook on the opposite side and sprinkle again with a pinch of salt. Cook the rice until golden then transfer to a plate.
- To the same pan, add the cherry tomatoes and toss them in the remaining oil in the pan. Allow the tomatoes to cook undisturbed for 2-3 minutes to blister on the bottom. Add the garlic then give the tomatoes a good stir. Cook again for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally until the tomatoes have broken down and are juicy. Add a pinch of salt, pepper and the zest and juice of half a lemon then stir well to combine.
- To assemble, spread some hummus to coat the bottom of your bowl then top with some cherry tomatoes, the crispy rice, and lentils. Sprinkle with some fresh parsley and garnish with some pickled red onions and more lemon zest.
Keywords: crispy rice bowl