These homemade crunchwraps are full of flavor, crunch and cheesy goodness. The best part, it is all plant-based and delicious!
Plant-Based Taco Meat
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 12 oz package LightLife’s Smart Grounds
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 avocado
- Juice of half a lime
- 2 tbsp red onion, minced
- 2 tbsp diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp cilantro, minced
- 2 tsp avocado oil
- 3 corn tortillas
- 3 large burrito-sized tortillas
- 6–8 tbsp cashew nacho cheese
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F. Brush or spray the corn tortillas with some oil then place on a parchment lined baking tray. Place in the oven for 4 minutes, flip then bake again for 3-4 minutes until crispy. Remove from oven and allow to fully cool.
- To a large skillet add the oil and heat over medium heat. When hot, add the onion and sauté with a pinch of salt until softened.
- Stir in the plant-based grounds and sauté for 3-4 minutes until it begins to brown evenly.
- Add the nutritional yeast, taco seasonings, and smoked paprika then stir together and continue to sauté until fully incorporated and fragrant.
- To a medium bowl add the avocado and mash with a fork. Add the lime juice, tomatoes, onions, cilantro and a generous pinch of salt and fold together.
- Now assemble your wrap. Start by heating your flour tortilla in a skillet for 30 seconds on each side to warm through. Place on a flat cutting board surface and spread a portion of the cashew cheese in the center to match the size of your smaller crispy tortilla. Spoon some of the crumbles on top to cover the cheese then top with the crispy tortilla, then some lettuce and diced tomato. Carefully spread the guacamole evenly over top then cut an extra flour tortilla and place on top of all the layers.
- Heat up a dry skillet while you prepare to fold your wrap. To fold, grab one side and pull it up towards the center. Hold the fold and continue folding the sides up towards the center until you have a hexagon shape. While holding, carefully flip the wrap and place it seam side down in the skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes until golden, flip and cook 2-3 minutes again until golden. Remove from heat, cut in half and enjoy!
Extend the use of your crumbles by adding some beans to them. Add a can of black beans or small cooked lentils to your plant-based crumbles to help double up the servings and add more protein and fiber.
Heat up your tortilla briefly for a few seconds before filling. Warming the tortillas will help to make them more pliable and less likely to rip when folded.
Don’t overstuff your wrap. It is very tempting to fill as much as you can into one of these wraps, but this is a guaranteed way to rip your tortilla when folding.
Make a crispy tortilla shell without frying. You can bake them instead. Lightly brush or spray your corn tortillas with a high heat oil and bake for a few minutes on both sides to get them nice and crispy.
Keywords: plant based crunchwrap