Learn how to pack a balanced and nutritious high protein plant based bento box loaded with 25 grams of protein. Prep ahead for fun and tasty lunches for the week.
Teriyaki Protein Rice
- 1 cup short grain white rice, rinsed well
- 1 block tempeh
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp teriyaki sauce
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
Plant-Based Octopus Sausage
- 1–2 LightLife Plant Based Hot Dogs
- 1/2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 lb oyster mushrooms
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
Watermelon Fruit Salad
- 1 cup watermelon, cubed
- 1 cup cucumber, cubed
- 8 leaves fresh mint, chiffonade
- Juice and zest of half a lime
- 1 tsp tajin or chili lime seasoning
- 1 tsp agave or maple syrup
- 1 cup steamed broccoli florets
- Cherry tomatoes
- Protein Packed Tempeh Rice. Cook your rice in a rice cooker or pot according to package instructions. Make sure to add a generous pinch of salt to the cooking water when cooking. Preheat the oven to 425F. Place a box grater over a baking tray and use it to grate your tempeh into shreds using the largest holes. Top the tempeh with oil and a pinch of salt. Toss to coat then spread out into a single layer on the baking tray. Bake in the oven for 12 minutes, then top with the teriyaki sauce, smoked paprika, fennel seeds and coriander. Toss to coat using tongs and bake for another 5 minutes or until golden.Once the rice is cooked, transfer the tempeh to the pot along with lime zest and juice and toss until evenly mixed then adjust salt to taste.
- Teriyaki Mushrooms. Tear your oyster mushrooms into smaller pieces. Heat up a large skillet over medium high heat and add the mushrooms. Spread them out into an even layer making sure there is no overlap. Allow the mushrooms to sear for about 4 minutes or until golden on the bottom, only press down on the mushrooms with a spatula occasionally. Flip the mushrooms and repeat the same process until both sides are golden.Add in the oil and a pinch of salt and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Pour in the teriyaki sauce and sauté until the mushrooms are evenly coated, then remove from heat.
- Plant-Based Octopus Sausage. Cut your LightLife hot dog into thirds. Using the hot dog ends, position it sideways and with a sharp knife slice 2/3 into the hot dog all way down. Rotate 90 degrees and slice again to get 4 legs. Continue rotating and cutting if desired to get 8 legs. Repeat with the remaining hot dog ends.Heat the oil in a small skillet and once hot add the hot dog pieces. Cook the pieces for 1-2 minutes then continue to rotate and cook 1-2 minutes until the hot dogs are evenly cooked on all sides. Remove from heat then set aside.
- Watermelon Fruit Salad. To a bowl add the watermelon, cucumber, mint, lime zest and juice, seasoning and agave. Toss to evenly coat and set aside to marinate.
- Cook the mushrooms in a dry pan without oil first. Spreading them out in a pan to dry cook will help remove excess moisture and help them firm up in texture.
- If making the hotdog octopus using plant-based hot dogs, make sure to cut long enough legs. Cut the legs 2/3 into the hot dog. This will help make sure they slightly fan out when pan-seared.
- When cooking the plant-based hot dog, continue to rotate it every 1-2 minutes in the pan so it evenly cooks.
- Keep it simple. Some bento boxes can look overly elaborate, but it’s not necessary! You can keep it really simple and focus on things like color to tie things together versus making elaborate shapes and cutouts with your food.
- Be creative. You don’t need to buy excessive bento box tools to decorate your container. A sharp knife, scissors, and a cookie cutter is often all you need.
Keywords: high protein bento box