This Zesty Black Bean Rice Bowl is drizzled with a bright and delicious lime basil sauce. An easy weeknight meal ready in less than 30 minutes.
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ears of corn, shucked
- 1, 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cloves garlic
- Juice and zest of one lime
- 2 medium sized heirloom tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp agave syrup
- 1 small bunch fresh chives, about 1/4 cup
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, stems removed
- 3 tbsp hemp hearts
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 ice cubes
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Cooked white Jasmine rice, for serving
- Corn and Black Beans. Place the corn on a cutting board and carefully cut the kernels away from the cob. Heat a large skillet with 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. When hot, add the corn then toss with the oil. Spread the corn out in a single layer and allow to cook undisturbed for 3 minutes then stir occasionally for an additional 2 minutes or until the kernels appear to brown around the edges. Add 2 cloves of grated garlic and sauté until fragrant. Lower the heat then add the beans, a generous pinch of salt and half the lime zest. Sauté for 1-2 minutes to warm the beans through. Adjust salt to taste then set aside.
- Tomato Salad. To a medium sized mixing bowl add the diced tomatoes then top with the red onions, a grated clove of garlic, the juice of half a lime, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, agave syrup, and a generous pinch of salt. Toss the mixture together until fully combined then allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes out at room temperature. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Basil Sauce. To a mini blender add the chives, basil, hemp hearts, nutritional yeast, the remaining lime zest and juice, 1/2 tablespoon of red wine vinegar, a grated clove of garlic, 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, a generous pinch of salt, water and ice cubes. Blend on high until completely smooth. Taste and add more salt as needed.
- Bowl Assembly. Divide a portion of rice in a serving bowl then top with some tomato salad, then the corn and black bean mixture. Drizzle the bowl with the basil sauce and garnish with any extra chives and enjoy.
Make the meal more convenient. Use frozen corn instead of corn on the cob. And instead of chopping all the ingredients by hand, try a food chopper.
Blending the basil sauce with ice will help make the sauce creamy and maintain it’s brilliant green color. Do not skip this.
Do note that the juices of the tomatoes will be drawn out as it sits, which will make the tomato salad juicy. The extra juice is very flavorful and I like to take a spoonful of it to drizzle over my rice.
Keywords: black bean bowl, black bean rice bowl