This Mango Chickpea Salad is packed with protein and fresh citrusy flavor. Served over high protein tofu rice to make this easy weeknight meal super satisfying.
- 1 cup short grain white rice, rinsed well
- 1/2 block super firm tofu
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1/2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1, 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
Mango Avocado Salad
- 2 ataulfo mangos, cubed
- 1 medium avocado, cubed
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1–2 tsp maple syrup, optional
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and finely diced
- 1/4 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 English cucumber, seeds removed and finely diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- Kosher salt to taste
- Cook your rice in a rice cooker or pot according to package instructions. Make sure to add a generous pinch of salt to the cooking water when cooking.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Pat your chickpeas dry with a clean kitchen towel and transfer to a baking tray. Top with the oil and spices then season with a pinch of salt and spread out into a single layer on the tray. Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes, tossing half way and baking until crispy.
- Place a box grater over another baking tray and use it to grate your tofu into shreds using the largest holes. Top the tofu with the cornstarch, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and avocado oil. Toss to coat then spread out into a single layer on the baking tray. Bake in the oven for 12 minutes, toss and bake for another 5 minutes until golden.
- Once the rice is cooked, transfer the tofu to the pot and toss until evenly mixed, adjusting salt to taste.
- To make the mango avocado salad, combine the mangos, avocado, red onion, jalapeno, cucumber, cilantro and a generous pinch of salt to a large mixing bowl. To a separate small bowl, combine the lime zest and juice, sweet chili sauce and maple syrup. Stir well then pour over the salad then gently fold everything together to combine.
- To serve, spoon some rice into a bowl then top with the mango avocado salad then the crispy chickpeas. Garnish with more fresh herbs as desired then enjoy.
Save some time and use some ready made rice. When I want one less pot to clean, I’ll grab a bag of frozen rice and heat it up in the microwave. Then all you need to do is add the tofu when it is done baking.
Season to taste. Salt will help to amplify the natural flavors added to this bowl. Start with a small amount then slowly add small amounts at a time while tasting to meet your personal taste. Everyone’s preference will be different, so see what works best for you.
For crispy chickpeas, make sure to pat them well with a clean kitchen towel. Removing excess moisture will help the chickpeas roast properly. It also helps to give enough space for your chickpeas on the baking tray, so spread them out in a single layer when roasting.
Fold in your mango and avocado right before serving. These two ingredients are the time sensitive ones. As soon as you cut into them, they will start to slowly oxidize, so leaving it till last will help preserve the freshness of your salad.
Keywords: mango chickpea bowl