These easy roasted asparagus and carrot wraps are loaded with seasoned veggies, crispy chickpeas and a creamy dreamy roasted garlic tahini sauce. A nutritious sheet pan meal that is perfect for lunch time meal prep.
- 1, 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and roughly chopped into 1 inch chunks
- 10 asparagus spears, woody ends removed and thinly sliced on a bias
- 3 large garlic cloves, in their peels with ends removed
- Juice and zest of one lemon, divided
- 1 1/2 tbsp avocado oil, or more as needed for roasting
- 1/4 cup good quality tahini
- 1 tbsp maple syrup, or more as needed
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder, divided
- 1 tsp onion powder, divided
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 6 leaves of mint, minced
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp cold water, or more as needed
- 3 Pitas or wraps, for serving
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F. Place your rinsed chickpeas on a clean kitchen towel to pat dry. Place the chickpeas on one side of a parchment lined baking sheet and the chopped carrots on the opposite side.
- In a small bowl combine 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, fennel seeds, coriander and a generous pinch of salt. Mix the seasoning well then sprinkle evenly over the carrots and chickpeas. Add the garlic cloves on the tray, then drizzle the tray evenly with 1 tbsp or more oil. Toss the carrots and chickpeas separately to evenly coat then spread into a single layer, placing the carrot pieces cut side down on the tray. Place in the oven to roast for 15 minutes, toss the chickpeas, then roast for an additional 10-15 minutes until the chickpeas are slightly crisp.
- Add the asparagus to a separate baking tray and season with 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder and a pinch of salt then drizzle with 1/2 tbsp of oil. Toss to evenly coat then spread the asparagus into a single layer. Place the asparagus in the oven to roast for 12 minutes.
- Once everything is roasted, transfer the chickpeas, carrots and asparagus to a mixing bowl. Top with the zest and juice of half a lemon and 1/2 tbsp maple syrup then toss to coat and set aside.
- Remove the garlic from the baking tray and once cool enough to handle, remove the peels and place the cloves on a cutting board. Smash the cloves with the flat side of your knife, scrape it up and place in a small bowl with tahini, remaining zest and lemon juice, 1/2 tbsp maple syrup, mustard, herbs then whisk together. As the mixture thickens add the water and whisk again until smooth. If the dressing is too thick, whisk in more water 1 tbsp at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Warm up your pitas, spread with a spoonful of the sauce, top with the roasted vegetables and chickpeas, then drizzle with more dressing as desired before wrapping and enjoying.
Place the vegetables cut side down on the tray. This will help get a nice sear on your veggies, which will help properly roast them.
Do not overcrowd your baking trays. Use 2 baking trays if needed and make sure your veggies and chickpeas are spread out enough to roast evenly. Veggies should not be overlapping and preferably spread out with some space in between if possible so they evenly roast.
Adjust seasonings as desired. This is one of those adjust as you go recipes and flavoring will be up to the individual. So use less or more salt as needed to season your food to your liking. Salt will help bring out more flavors in the seasonings you add.
Heat your wrap up. Either follow the instructions provided on the packaging of your wrap or quickly toast it for 2-3 minutes in a toaster oven. It makes the wrap more pliable and improves the taste significantly.
Keywords: roasted asparagus and carrots, roasted asparagus and carrot wraps