This cilantro lime slaw bowl is tossed in a creamy dressing then topped with crispy roasted chickpeas and sweet potatoes. Easy to make sheet pan meal.
- 1, 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 a small cabbage, core removed and shredded
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp smoked paprika, divided
- 1 tsp onion powder, divided
- 1 tsp garlic powder, divided
- Kosher salt to taste
- Avocado oil for roasting
Cilantro Jalapeno Sauce
- 1/3 cup cilantro, woody stems removed
- 1 jalapeno, roughly chopped
- 2 scallions, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup plant-based unsweetened plain yogurt
- 1/4 avocado
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sesame oil, optional
- 1 clove garlic
- Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 425F. Place the rinsed chickpeas on a clean kitchen towel and pat them dry. Place the chickpeas on a baking sheet with 1 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1 tbsp oil and a generous pinch of salt. Toss to evenly coat then spread out in a single even layer on the tray. Place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes, tossing half way.
- Add your cubed sweet potatoes directly to a sheet pan and top with the cornstarch and remaining paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and salt. Drizzle 1 1/2 tbsp oil on top then toss to evenly coat and spread the potatoes out on the tray into an even layer cut side down, giving space between the potatoes for roasting.
- Place the potatoes in the oven for 30-35 minutes, making sure to flip the potatoes every 10 minutes to help them evenly roast.
- Add all of the cilantro jalapeno dressing ingredients along with a generous pinch of salt to a blender cup and blend until smooth.
- Place your shredded cabbage in a large mixing bowl and top with half the blended dressing. Toss the cabbage together and add additional dressing as desired until fully coated then set aside.
- When ready to assemble, serve a portion of the cabbage topped with the sweet potato and chickpeas then enjoy.
Avoid overcrowding the pan. When roasting the chickpeas and sweet potatoes, make sure that you spread them out in an even layer on the baking tray. Allow space between the pieces so they have room to roast properly. Overcrowding the pan will cause the potatoes and chickpeas to steam and come out mushy.
Toss your potatoes frequently. I recommend giving the sweet potatoes a toss every 10 minutes while it’s baking so that they can evenly develop a nice crust to them as they bake.
Add enough oil. The amount of oil recommended in the instructions was based on the potato size I used. You may need less or more oil depending on the size you use, so adjust as needed. The goal should be that the potatoes are evenly coated with oil and that there are no dry visible patches of cornstarch on the potatoes.
Keywords: cilantro lime slaw, cilantro lime slaw bowl