This high protein basil edamame toast is packed with 30 grams of protein. A tasty option that is easy to make in advance for quick breakfast during the week.
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, thick stems removed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen edamame, thawed
- 1/4 cup good quality tahini
- 3 tbsp hemp hearts
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Juice and zest of 1 medium lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt or more to taste
- 1/4 cup ice water plus more as needed
- Slices of toasted sourdough bread or whole grain bread
- Garlic clove
- Cucumber slices
- Pickled onions
- Chili oil
- Place the basil, edamame, tahini, hemp hearts, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and zest, garlic and salt into a mini food processor or blender cup.
- Pour in the ice water and blend. Scrape down the sides as needed and continue to blend until mixture is uniform in consistency and mostly smooth. Refrigerate mixture until ready to use.
- Toast your bread as desired. Cut a garlic clove in half and use the cut side of the garlic to rub on to the surface of the toast. Add a generous smear of the edamame mixture on top then top as desired. I chose cucumber slices and topped with some pickled onions, chili oil and some flakey salt and pepper.
When prepared exactly like instructed, this toast provides a lot of protein. One large slice of sourdough bread with 1/4 of this spread provides 22 grams of protein. Two medium slices of sourdough bread with 1/4 of the spread provides 30 grams of protein. For 1/4 of the spread alone, you get 16 grams of protein.
Add some heat. You can make this spicy by adding some jalapeno or a splash of sriracha to taste. You can also top your finished toast with some chili oil as well.
Adjust the flavors to your liking. This is just a base and you can always add more lemon, salt, or nutritional yeast to your liking. Also, don’t be afraid to change up the herbs as desired. This spread is very versatile.
Use ice water when blending. This will help make the tahini more fluffy, which will help the mixture blend better.
Keywords: high protein toast, high protein edamame toast