This broccoli crunch salad is is loaded with nutrients and flavor. Easy to make and perfect to meal prep for meals throughout the week.
- 1 cup dry Jasmine rice, wash and rinsed well (yields about 3 cups of cooked rice)
- 1, 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup cilantro, minced
- 1/2 a small shallot, minced
- 1 Fresno pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon, divided
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp salt plus more for seasoning
- 4 tsp maple syrup, divided
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1–2 tbsp olive oil for cooking
- 1 head broccoli, chopped (if using stalk, peel stalk before chopping)
- 2 tbsp pepitas
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Cook rice according to package instructions on the stove top or in a rice cooker. Place the chickpeas on a clean kitchen towel and pat dry.
- To a large mixing bowl add the cilantro, shallots, pepper, grated garlic, 1/2 the lemon zest, cumin, coriander, juice of half a lemon, 2 teaspoons of maple syrup, and the vinegar. Give everything a good mix to combine and allow to sit and marinade while you cook the veggies.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and drizzle with about 1 tablespoon of oil. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped broccoli and spread it out in a single layer in the pan. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and allow to cook undisturbed for about 3 minutes, allowing the broccoli to brown slightly around the edges. Toss the broccoli and continue to sauté for another 2-3 minutes or until the broccoli is bright green and cooked through then remove from heat.
- Add the broccoli to the bowl with the marinade along with the cooked rice. Toss everything to evenly coat , taste and add additional salt and pepper to taste then set aside to prepare the chickpeas.
- Warm up the same skillet and drizzle with remaining oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Add in the chickpeas and spread into an even layer. Allow the chickpeas to cook undisturbed for 3 minutes then give them a toss and cook for an extra 2 minutes, allowing to brown. Add in the pepitas, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds and continue to sauté allowing them to toast up for 1-2 minutes. Add in the remaining 2 teaspoons maple syrup, the juice and zest of the remaining lemon half and a generous pinch of salt. Toss to coat then remove from heat.
- Divide the broccoli salad mixture between serving plates then top each with a generous amount of the chickpea mixture and serve.
Don’t toss your broccoli stems! The stems are just as flavorful and nutritious as the florets. Just peel the fibrous coating and then dice it up finely and cook it along with the rest of the broccoli.
Choose the veggies you love. Swap the broccoli for a variety of different veggies like cauliflower, sliced snap peas, asparagus, shredded cabbage or chopped kale. Do note, it’s important to note that the cook time for these different veggies may vary and require more or less time to get golden.
Change up the herbs. If you can’t tolerate the cilantro, try a different combo of herbs. I personally love to swap for 1/3 cup minced parsley and 2 tablespoons of minced mint. Also feel free to leave it out entirely.
Keywords: broccoli crunch salad