Quick and easy Za’atar Maple Roasted Carrots and Chickpeas, perfect for when you’re short on time and ingredients. Serve with fluffy rice and an herby yogurt sauce for a complete meal in 30 minutes.
- 1 1/2 lbs carrots, peeled and roughly chopped into 1 inch chunks
- 1, 15 oz canned chickpeas. drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or favorite neutral oil, divided
- 3 tsp za’atar, divided
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup finely minced cilantro
- 1 small clove of garlic, grated
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon, divided
- 1 tsp white miso paste
- 1/2 cup plant-based unsweetened yogurt
- 2–3 tsp maple syrup or to taste
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Rice (in case you ask after my rice cooked I added a mix of leftover minced kale and cilantro along with leftover lime juice)
- Preheat oven to 425F and line two baking trays with parchment paper. Add your carrots to a mixing bowl and top with 1 tablespoon oil, 2 teaspoons of za’atar and a generous pinch of salt. Toss to coat then spread out into a single layer on one tray, making sure the carrots are placed cut side down.
- Place your rinsed chickpeas on a clean kitchen towel and pat dry to remove excess moisture. Discard any chickpea skins that fall off (no need to do all) then place the chickpeas in the same bowl and coat with the remaining oil, za’atar, garlic powder and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to evenly coat, then place the chickpeas on the other tray spreading them out into a single layer.
- Place the carrots on the top rack and chickpeas on the bottom rack in the oven. Roast both trays for 30 minutes, while giving the chickpeas a toss half way through.
- Meanwhile, prepare the herby sauce. To a small bowl add the herbs, grated garlic, zest and juice of half a lemon, the miso paste, a teaspoon of maple syrup (optional) and a pinch of salt. Lightly mash the miso into the mixture until combined then fold in the yogurt and stir until fully incorporated. Adjust salt to taste then set aside.
- Add the roasted chickpeas and carrots back to the original bowl used in the beginning then top with the remaining zest and lemon juice along with the maple syrup and toss to evenly coat.
- Spread a dollop of the herby yogurt in your plate then top with the rice and the carrot chickpea mixture and serve.
Spread out your chickpeas and carrots on the baking tray. They should be spread out into a single layer with some space between to help everything roast evenly.
Adjust the maple to your liking. You can add more or less based on the taste of your carrots. Carrots that don’t taste as sweet can benefit from a little more of the maple syrup.
Swap the herbs. Feel free to play with other herbs you may prefer. This works well with a combo of parsley, dill and a small amount of mint.
Keywords: maple roasted carrots, za'atar maple roasted carrots and chickpeas