These Crispy Shredded Chipotle Tofu Wraps have a crispy chewy tofu filling coated in delicious smoky flavors. Easy to make and a great high-protein plant based option.
- 1, 454 gram block of super firm tofu, pat dry
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp adobo seasoning
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons avocado oil or neutral oil
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- Juice of half lime
- 1/3 cup vegan mayo or thick plain unsweetened plant based yogurt
- 1 chipotle pepper, finely minced
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- Juice of half lime
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp dry oregano
- 3 large burrito sized flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 425F. Crumble or shred your tofu. To shred, place a box grater over a parchment lined baking sheet. Grate your tofu over the largest holes on the grater to make shreds then add nutritional yeast, cornstarch chipotle sauce, adobo seasoning, coriander, a generous pinch of salt and oil then toss to coat. Spread the mixture out into a single layer then place the tray in the oven to bake for 15 minutes. Flip the tofu and bake again for 5-10 minutes until golden.
- Heat up a sauté pan over medium heat and add the oil. Once the oil is warm, add the onions and peppers with a pinch of salt and sauté until softened. Once soft, add the lime juice and toss to coat. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the mayo, chipotle pepper, nutritional yeast, garlic, lime, maple syrup, oregano and a pinch of salt. Whisk to combine and adjust salt to taste.
- To assemble, warm your tortilla in a clean dry pan for 30 seconds. Spread a spoonful of the chipotle mayo on half the tortilla, top with the shredded tofu, the peppers and onions and another dollop of the mayo sauce. Fold the tortilla over to close, then cook until the bottom has browned and flip to cook and brown the other side (about 2-3 minutes each side). Remove from heat and enjoy.
For the best shred, use super firm tofu. I highly recommend using super firm tofu over extra firm tofu as it will be denser and easier to grate.
Make it into a melt. Add some shredded vegan cheese for an extra ooey gooey filling. If you are not a fan of store bought cheese, try making your own.
Heat up your tortilla before adding the filling. Lay your tortilla flat in a heated skillet for a few seconds before adding the filling. This will help make the tortilla more pliable and easy to fold in half.
Control the spice. If sensitive to spice, use less chipotle sauce. You can also swap with mild hot sauce or some chili powder.
Multitask to help make this recipe come together faster. As your tofu is baking, sauté the peppers and onions then make the sauce. Then when the tofu is ready, you can go ahead and make the wrap quick.