This spiced chickpea breakfast toast is served over a creamy garlic lemon yogurt sauce. A savory and high protein plant based breakfast option that will leave you feeling satisfied.
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 shallot, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 serrano pepper, diced (optional)
- 1, 15 oz can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1–2 slices of lemon (optional)
- 1/2 cup of plain unsweetened plant based yogurt, choose a brand that is thick and creamy
- Juice of half a small lemon
- 1 clove of garlic, grated
- Salt to taste
- A few slices of hearty bread
- Fresh herbs like parsley or cilantro
- Place your rinsed and drained chickpeas on a clean kitchen towel and carefully pat them dry to remove as much excess water as possible then set aside and prep and measure your remaining ingredients before continuing.
- Warm a non-stick skillet over medium heat then add oil. Once the oil is warmed through, add in your shallots and sauté for a minute. Stir in your garlic and pepper and continue to sauté until fragrant.
- Pour in your chickpeas and then top with all the spices and salt. Toss the chickpeas to coat evenly, then place your lemon slices in the pan and spread the chickpeas around them into a single layer. Allow the chickpeas and lemon to sear undisturbed for 2-3 minutes then give everything a toss and sear again for 2-3 minutes. Continue to stir the chickpeas occasionally for an extra 3 minutes allowing them to get stirred together with the juice releasing from the lemon. Once the chickpeas are blistered and look slightly crispy around the edges remove from heat and set aside.
- Toast your bread and while it’s toasting combine the yogurt sauce ingredients together in a bowl and adjust the salt to taste.
- Now assemble your toast. Spread a dollop of the yogurt sauce over the bread and then top with the chickpea mixture and some fresh herbs as desired.
Make sure to dry your chickpeas well. After rinsing and draining them, place on a clean kitchen towel and pat the chickpeas as dry as possible. This will prevent oil from sputtering when adding them into the pan and also help them toast and brown more evenly.
Swap out the yogurt sauce. You can vary up your breakfast toast by spreading it with hummus, mashed avocado or your favorite vegan cream cheese.
Make a double batch of this recipe. You can use the chickpeas at breakfast and also serve it for lunches and dinners as a quick and easy meal builder.
Control the spice. Feel free to adjust the spice mix to fit your preferences. Skip the red pepper flakes if not a fan of heat and adjust the other spices as desired.
Keywords: chickpea toast, chickpea breakfast toast, breakfast toast