This Avocado White Bean Sandwich is high protein and loaded with savory and herby flavors from both artichoke hearts, dill and oregano.
- 1, 15 oz can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 3, quartered marinated artichoke hearts plus more as desired, roughly chopped
- Zest and juice of one small lime or lemon
- 1 chili pepper or 1/2 a deseeded jalapeno, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 clove garlic, crushed or finely minced
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 3 tbsp fresh minced dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
For Sandwich Assembly
- 6 slices of whole grain bread
- 1 cup of green lettuce
- Cucumber Slices
- Extra artichoke hearts, optional
- To a medium bowl add your beans, avocado and a pinch of salt and pepper. With a fork, lightly mash the beans and avocado together to your desired consistency (I like it 1/2 mashed with some chunks of bean in it).
- Top the mash with the scallions, artichokes, pepper, nutritional yeast, garlic, oregano, dill, zest and juice. Give everything a good mix to combine, adjust salt and pepper to preference and set aside.
- To assemble the sandwich, spread both slices of bread with mustard, top with greens, the avocado white bean mash, artichokes, sliced cucumbers and the other slice of bread and enjoy.
Mash the mixture to your desired consistency. You might wish to mash this so you don’t see beans, but others may want to leave it more chunky to give the sandwich more texture. Do what feels best for you.
For some extra protein add some hemp hearts. Add an extra 3 tablespoons of hemp hearts to the mash for an extra boost of protein.
Swap for some different herbs. Make the flavor your own by swapping in other herbs you love like cilantro or parsley. The more you have the more flavor and antioxidants.
If storing for prolonged use, prepare this recipe without mashing the avocado. When ready to assemble and eat, just fold the avocado in. The mash without the avocado can stay fresh in the fridge for up to 4 days.
If you do choose to mash in the avocado in advance, store the filling in an airtight container and press some plastic wrap over the surface of the mash to reduce air exposure. Close the container and place in the fridge to store for up to 2-3 days.
Keywords: avocado white bean sandwich, white bean sandwich