Easy to make Apple Pie Overnight Oats for a grab and go breakfast loaded with gooey sauteed cinnamon apples that will keep you fueled and satisfied.
Sautéed Apples (can be divided between 2 jars)
- 1 Fuji or pink lady apple, sliced or cubed
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or sweetener of choice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp yellow or white miso paste, optional
- Pinch of salt
For Each of 2 Jars Add
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch each of ground ginger, cardamom and salt
- 3/4 cups unsweetened soy or pea protein milk
- 2 tbsp plain plant based yogurt (use vegan Greek style for more protein if desired)
- 1–2 tsp maple syrup, optional
- 2 tbsp Walnuts or pepitas for topping
- Add oats, chia, and spices to each airtight container being used and give a good mix. Pour in the milk, yogurt and sweetener. Mix again really well.
- To a small bowl dissolve the miso into the water until no lumps remain and set aside.
- To a warmed sauté pan over medium low heat, add the sliced apples, maple syrup, cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until the apples start to soften (if the apples are cut thicker, they may need 8-10 minutes).
- Pour in the miso mixture and continue to sauté until the liquid has cooked off, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and top over oats with nuts or seeds. You can also store the toppings separately to enjoy over the oats when ready to eat.
Add more liquid if you find your oats too thick. A few splashes of milk or yogurt can help loosen your oats if they are too thick.
If too loose, add 1-2 extra teaspoons of chia seeds, mix and allow to thicken for 10 minutes before enjoying.
Time of soaking will impact texture. The longer the oats sit to thicken, the creamier and softer the oats will get. Less soaking time will result in a firmer, chewy texture.
Store toppings how you like. You can top the oats with the apples in the same container, but if you prefer your toppings separately, I like to use these airtight snack box containers with 3 compartments to store the oats, apples, and nuts separately then combine when ready to eat.
Each jar contains 21 grams of protein, 12 grams of fiber, 6 mg of iron and omega-3s when prepped with high protein plant milk, yogurt and pepitas. Please note, changing ingredients will impact these numbers.
The peanut butter seen smeared in the jar is for photography purposes, which is why it was not included in the ingredients.
Keywords: apple pie overnight oats, apple overnight oats