When you need a quick and easy weeknight dinner, this Tofu Cabbage Stir Fry is all you need. Spiced and sauteed in a savory sweet sauce and ready in 20 minutes.
- 1 tbsp light (regular) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce (or an extra tablespoon of regular soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp maple syrup or sugar
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp vegetable bouillon paste or 1/2 a crushed vegetable bouillon cube
- 1–2 tbsp avocado oil
- 4 scallions, sliced with whites and greens separated
- 1 red chili pepper, sliced (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed or grated
- 1/2 inch ginger, grated or minced
- 1, 450g block of super firm tofu (or extra firm tofu, pressed and drained)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 cups green cabbage, shredded
- In a small bowl combine your soy sauce, vinegar, sweetener, sesame oil and vegetable bouillon. Whisk together to combine and set aside.
- Heat up a large skillet and warm up the oil. Add in the white parts of your scallion and chili pepper if using and sauté until the scallions start to soften. Add in the garlic and ginger, sauteing again until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Crumble the tofu into the pan and then add in the paprika and coriander. If the pan is super dry, add a little more oil and sauté the tofu to completely coat in the spices. Continue to sauté and cook the tofu for about 3-5 minutes then add in the shredded cabbage.
- Stir fry the cabbage until it starts to soften, about 4 minutes, then pour in the sauce you prepared earlier over the tofu mixture. Sauté to combine and continue to cook until the tofu and veggies have evenly absorbed the sauce.
- Serve with ice or noodles and garnish with extra scallions if desired.
Add more oil if the pan dries up. Since we are replacing meat with tofu, adding a little more fat to the dish will help both amplify flavor and retain moisture throughout the dish as it is cooked.
Dark soy sauce is a little thicker with a mild sweetness. If you need a quick alternative, replace it with 1 tablespoon regular soy sauce and for that thick/sweetness add 1/2 tsp of molasses. The molasses will help to mimic the thicker notes of the soy sauce to make the dish richer.
Cut the cabbage thin. This will help it cook down quicker in the pan along with the tofu. If your pieces are too big, it will take a lot longer.
Keywords: tofu cabbage stir fry, tofu and cabbage