This Dominican spiced mashed chickpea salad is the perfect sandwich filling. Easy to prep and loaded with Caribbean spices and fresh herbs.
Mashed Chickpea Salad
- 1, 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp good quality tahini
- 1/2 tsp adobo seasoning
- 1/2 tsp sazon or 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp dry thyme
- 1/2 tsp better than bouillon vegetable base or 1/2 veggie bouillon cube
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 bell pepper, finely diced
- 3 tbsp Spanish Olives, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 1/4 cup parsley, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- In a bowl add in your chickpeas and mash them to your liking. Add in the garlic, tahini, spices and bouillon then mix together until fully combined.
- Stir in the diced onion, bell pepper, herbs, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, and water. Mix well until the mixture starts to clump together. Taste and adjust seasonings based on preference.
- To assemble the sandwich, mash avocado on to one slice of bread then top with the mashed chickpea salad mixture, fresh tomato slices, and plantain chips. Spread some vegan ketchup mayo on the other piece of bread and use it to top the sandwich before enjoying.
Adjust salt to taste. I love adding a little sprinkle of salt to the avocado and tomatoes used in the sandwich instead of adding extra salt to the chickpea mash as the adobo and bouillon does add that salty flavor to it just fine.
Use a food processor to save on chopping. Just blend the veggies, herbs, vinegar and lemon juice together until minced then add to the chickpea mixture.
For more protein, choose whole grain breads to pair it with. Whole grain breads can add more protein compared to white bread. In particular, I love sprouted grain breads because they tend to have 5-6 grams of protein per slice.
Keywords: Mashed Chickpea Salad, Chickpea Salad Sandwich, Vegan Chickpea Salad