This Creamy Red Pesto Pasta comes together in just 20 minutes using a homemade dairy-free sun-dried tomato and basil infused pesto sauce.
- 2 cups fresh basil, stems removed
- 1, 8.5 oz (241 g) jar of sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil (about 1 cup)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan
- 3 tbsp pepitas
- 2 cloved garlic, crushed
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1/4 tsp salt or more to taste
Creamy Pesto Pasta
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb of your favorite pasta
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1/3 cup red pesto (the above recipe)
- 1 cup unsweetened soy or cashew milk
- 2 tsp tapioca starch or cornstarch
- 3/4 cup reserved pasta water
- Make the pesto. Add the full jar of tomatoes with the oil to a food processor along with the remaining pesto ingredients. Blend on high, scraping down the sides as needed until the pesto forms a paste and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt generously. Once boiling, add the pasta and cook according to the package instructions. Make sure to reserve your pasta water before draining the pasta.
- In a large measuring cup, combine the milk, starch and pasta water and whisk until no clumps remain.
- To a large skillet over medium low heat, add the cooking oil and shallots with a pinch of salt. Sauté until they have softened, about 2 minutes, then add the sliced garlic and sauté again until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the pesto and pan fry for about 1 minute, then pour in the milk mixture and whisk to combine.
- Pour in the drained pasta and stir to coat the pasta in the pesto mixture. Season with salt to taste and serve immediately.
Cook your pasta till al dente. This just ensures that your pasta has the right hearty bite and won’t fall apart when mixed with the sauce.
Reserve your pasta water. Do this right before the pasta drains. This starchy liquid helps to really enhance the creaminess of the sauce.
Adjust the salt to your liking. I find that sun-dried tomatoes are umami rich in flavor and saltiness, so I generally just add a small pinch when blending. You can definitely add more as desired.
Keywords: red pesto pasta, vegan red pesto pasta