Saucy Pineapple BBQ Chickpeas stuffed into caramelized stuffed sweet potatoes and served with miso tahini kale. Full of flavor and easy to make for a busy weeknight dinner.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, skins rinsed and scrubbed really well
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1, 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 cup pineapple, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 bunch of kale, stems removed (this is about 10–15 stems of kale)
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 tbsp good quality tahini
- 1/2 tsp yellow or white miso
- Preheat your oven to 425F. With a fork, poke a few holes into your sweet potato and place on a parchment lined baking tray and bake the potatoes for 45-60 minutes or until the bottoms are caramelized and the potatoes are soft.
- As the potatoes bake, prepare the chickpeas. Place the drained chickpeas on a clean kitchen towel and pat dry. Add oil to heated pan, and when warmed through add the chickpeas and sauté for about 5 minutes, allowing the chickpeas to become golden.
- Sprinkle in the garlic, onion powder and a pinch of salt and sauté for an extra 2 minutes or until fragrant then remove the chickpeas from the pan.
- In the same pan, add a little more oil and sauté your onions until softened. Stir in the sliced garlic and continue to sauté until fragrant. Add the pineapple and sauté again for an extra 3 minutes to cook it down. Add in the barbecue sauce, water and chickpeas to the pan and stir to fully coat then set aside.
- To make the massaged kale, rip the destemmed kale into bite-size pieces. Drizzle over the tahini, lemon juice, a pinch of salt and the miso paste. With your hands, massage the kale until it has shrunk in size and become tender and more bright green in color.
- To assemble, place the kale on a plate and top with the baked potato. Cut the potato in half and then stuff with the pineapple barbecue chickpeas.
Massage your kale like you mean it. Rubbing the fat, salt and acid into the leaves of the kale will help the kale soften and make it more enjoyable to eat. You know it’s broken down when the leaves have shrunken and are a bright green color.
Pat your chickpeas dry before sauteing. This will remove excess moisture from the chickpeas and help improve their texture when pan-fried.
Adjust seasonings to your taste. The flavor profile will change depending on the barbecue sauce flavor. You can always adjust the flavor forward by adding additional seasonings or spice to the sauce as it cooks.
Save time and cook the potato in the microwave. Place your pierced potato on a microwave plate in the microwave. You can either use your potato button or cooking for 3-4 minutes and rotating then repeating until the potato has softened to your liking.
Keywords: bbq chickpeas, pineapple bbq chickpeas, barbecue chickpeas