Easy air fryer flautas stuffed with a delicious and smoky chickpea tinga filling. A crispy and satisfying budget friendly plant-based dinner.
- 1–2 tbsp avocado oil or spray oil (optional)
- 1/2 small yellow or red onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced or 1 tbsp chipotle hot sauce
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes or 2 ripe Roma tomatoes, finely diced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 vegan chicken bouillon cube or 1/2 tsp vegetable or vegan chicken broth paste
- 1, 15 oz can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 10 yellow corn tortillas
- Salt to taste
- To a medium skillet, add a drizzle of oil and when warmed through. Add the onions along with a pinch of salt and cook until softened.
- Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant then add in the chipotle peppers, oregano, and cumin and continue sauteing again for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes, water, vegetable bouillon and chickpeas. Stir to combine and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. With a potato masher or the back of a cooking spoon, lightly mash some of the chickpeas.
- In a separate pan, warm up your tortillas for 30 seconds on each side to make them more pliable and easy to roll.
- Spray or brush your tortillas with a little oil on one side and add the mashed chickpea filling down the center of the tortilla then roll it up tightly. Carefully rest the taquitos seam side down in your air fryer basket and repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling.
- Brush or spray the taquitos with oil and then place in the air fryer at 380F for 8-10 minutes, flipping half way through and spraying or brushing with oil again to ensure they are golden and crispy. Serve with your favorite toppings and sauces.
Use the thinnest tortillas you can find. They will crisp up better when air fried and you’ll have an easier time rolling them.
Warm your tortillas before stuffing and rolling. This will make the tortillas easier to roll without breaking apart.
Use toothpicks to hold the flautas together. This will help prevent the flautas from unraveling.
Oil the flautas well. Either spray or brush the flautas with a high heat oil before baking in the air fryer. Repeat this process when flipping to ensure your flautas don’t dry out.
Feel free to bake in an oven. If you don’t have an air fryer, just preheat your oven to 400F and place your flautas on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes, making sure to flip and spray again with oil halfway through baking.
Keywords: air fryer flautas, vegan flautas, chickpea tinga