This Zesty Black Bean Bowl is marinated in a homemade zesty cilantro lime dressing. A nourishing no-cook lunch recipe that is easy to put together.
Bean Bowl Base
- 2, 15 oz cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen fire roasted corn, thawed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion, about half a small onion
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- Tortillas or Tortilla chips for serving
- Juice and zest of 2 limes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or agave, adjust amount based on preference
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1–2 tsp smoked paprika, chipotle powder or chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt or more to taste
Optional Topping Ideas
- Pickled Jalapenos
- Pickled Onions
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Salsa Verde
- Shredded Cabbage
- To a large mixing bowl add in the black beans, cherry tomatoes, red onion, bell pepper, and cilantro then sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- In a separate jar or to the same bowl add in the lime zest and juice, oil, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, and a pinch of salt. If combining separately, give the dressing a really good mix then pour it over the black bean mixture.
- Toss the black beans and dressing together, making sure it has been coated with the dressing then cover the bowl and place in the fridge for up to one hour, stirring occasionally to redistribute the dressing.
- When ready to serve, place a wrap or pita on a flat plate and spread with your favorite spread then top with the chickpea salad and serve.
Chop what you wish to chop. If you are not a fan of chopping, stick to using the black beans, corn and whole cherry tomatoes for the base of the salad. Then rip the cilantro leaves up with your hands and mix together the dressing for the salad to marinate in.
Rinse and drain the beans really well. You want to remove the starchy bean liquid so it doesn’t impact the flavor or appearance of the salad.
Save an extra dish to clean by adding the dressing ingredients directly to the bean mix. Just make sure to mix the salad really well.
Season your salad. Make sure to taste and adjust the salt to help bring out the flavors of the other ingredients. This is especially true if using canned beans that have no salt added.
Let the beans marinate for at least an hour or longer, preferably overnight for best results. The longer it sits the more flavorful it will become.
Keywords: black bean bowl, tex mex bowl, marinated black beans, nourish bowl