A saucy and Spicy Chipotle Tofu Bowl for a quick and easy weeknight dinner. This meal uses oven roasted crispy tofu tossed in a zesty chipotle lime sauce.
- 1, 450g block extra firm tofu, pressed and drained
- 3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or neutral oil of choice
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast or an extra tbsp of cornstarch
- Zest of 1 lime + Juice of 2 limes
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce + 2 tbsp adobo sauce
- 3 tbsp organic light brown sugar or maple syrup
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 small red onion, sliced into strips
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp of cold water
- Preheat the oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Take the block of pressed tofu and break it apart with your hands into smaller chunks into a medium sized mixing bowl. Drizzle the tofu with 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, oil and juice of one lime and toss to coat. Sprinkle the tofu with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and nutritional yeast and toss to coat again. Place the tofu on the baking sheet and spread the tofu out into a single layer. Bake the tofu in the oven for 30 minutes, flipping it half way while baking.
- To a small blender or food processor add the chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, juice of the remaining lime, sugar and vegetable broth. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- In a large skillet, warm a splash of oil to your pan and add in the peppers, onions and garlic with a pinch of salt then sauté until the peppers and onions have softened.
- Add the blended chipotle sauce to the pan and bring to a simmer. In a small bowl combine 2 teaspoons of cornstarch with the water and mix to make a slurry. Add the cornstarch slurry to the pan along with the lime zest and stir until thickened.
- Stir in the roasted tofu chunks and coat completely in the sauce then serve as desired.
Break up your tofu by hand into smaller chunks. This will help give the tofu a meatier texture and crisp up more in the oven as it roasts.
Double the sauce. This dish is saucy, but if you want some extra sauce to pour over your bowl, feel free to double the sauce ingredients.
Add more vegetables. Feel free to stir in some spinach at the end or even sauté some zucchini or broccoli with the peppers.
Keywords: chipotle tofu, chipotle tofu bowl