The best homemade Vegan Nutella that you will want to spread on everything. This healthy, rich chocolate hazelnut spread is easy to make with just 6 ingredients.
- 2 cups raw hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup blended coconut sugar or 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp neutral oil (I used avocado oil), you can leave this out, but it does keep the Nutella smooth
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F. Add the hazelnuts to a lined baking tray and bake for 10 minutes then allow the hazelnuts to cool to room temperature.
- Dump the roasted hazelnuts on a clean kitchen towel, then bring the edges of the towel together to wrap the hazelnuts and then carefully rub the towel over them to help release some of the skins of the hazelnuts.
- If using coconut sugar, blend it in a spice grinder or a blender to smooth it into a powder (you can skip this step, but note your Nutella will be more on the grainy side in texture).
- To prepare the Nutella, place the hazelnuts in a high speed blender or food processor and process on high until the nuts are blended smooth.
- Once smooth, add in the remaining ingredients and blend again, scraping down the sides as needed when blending. Continue blending until smooth and fully combined then place the Nutella in a jar and enjoy.
Roast your hazelnuts. Roasting your raw hazelnuts will enhance the flavor of this spread and make it so much easier to blend.
Allow your hazelnuts to completely cool after roasting. Adding the hazelnuts hot into the blender will introduce some condensation/moisture, which will seize up the nut butter as it blends.
Be patient with blending. This comes together very quickly using a highspeed blender like a Vitamix. If using a food processor, it will take a bit longer until it is smooth.
Be mindful about swapping ingredients. This can effect the consistency of the spread. Be careful if introducing any liquid based ingredients as it will cause the nut butter to thicken significantly.
Keywords: vegan Nutella, homemade Nutella, chocolate hazelnut spread. healthy nutella